Chapter 34: Predator and Prey

Ochako sat with her chin in her hands. She'd been waiting at Dr. Minoru's office for Tsu for the better part of an hour. Ochako just assumed she was busy with work or had to do something class-related. They had busy schedules, so it wasn't surprising. Her session had been about an hour and a half long, taking into account the wait time and it was closing in on three hours. The wait finally got to her and she opted to see if anyone else could come by and get her. The soonest bus wouldn't be close for another half an hour, factor in the stops it would inevitably make and she wouldn't get back for another hour and a half if she went by bus.

She tried calling Ashido and Kirishima, they had a vehicle that they had driven to Mufustafu, but they didn't pick up either. So she called Todoroki and Momo next, but when they didn't answer either, she started to get seriously annoyed. Did some kind of event happen while she was out like a light with Dr. Minoru? She doubted it, but with her list of friends who had a vehicle dwindling, she feared she might have to take the agonizingly slow bus.

"Ms. Uraraka?" came a voice from behind her.

Ochako turned around to see Dr. Minoru standing in the doorway to his office.

"Yes?" she asked.

"Oh, well Sara told me you were outside. Is something the matter?" he asked in turn.

"My friend Tsuyu didn't show up to pick me up. I thought something might have come up but after waiting an hour and calling a few times I'm starting to think something happened. None of my other friends will pick up either." She said, frowning herself now.

"Hmmm... Well, I'm closing the office for tonight, if you like Sara could take you home after dropping me off at mine." offered Dr. Minoru.

"I don't want to bother you two, I can just take the bus," she said.

"Nonsense, that would take at least an hour. I insist." Said Dr. Minoru firmly.

A few minutes later they were driving back into the city proper, Sara taking Dr. Minoru to his home at the city limits, and then finally to Ochako's apartment.

"Thanks again for taking me home." Said Ochako to Sarah.

"It's not a problem, it's only a little ways off my regular route to my own apartment." Assured Sara.

"Speaking of home, have you been back to your parent's place in the countryside yet?" Asked Dr. Minoru.

"No, I know I should, I have to go through it all eventually. But it's just hard, finding the time. Everything is just so busy nowadays." Said Ochako, not entirely truthfully. While it was hard to find the time, she was sure she would be allowed time to get the will and the property all in order. The real reason was that she was afraid to go back, she didn't know what she would find, and she also didn't want to see her childhood home empty and forlorn.

"I see." was all Dr. Minoru said, but Ochako was sure he saw right through her thinly veiled excuse.

Ochako looked out the window and frowned. They had come out from around a bend and they had a good view of the city, but she could see smoke in the distance. Had a major fire broken out? Was that why everyone was busy? She rolled down the window to give the air a sniff when she heard a distant rumble. Her frown deepening, she listened carefully. She thought she heard another rumble but couldn't be sure over the noise of the car.

"Hey, stop the vehicle for a moment," she said.

Sara looked at her in the mirror, glanced at the city, and pulled over. Ochako got out of the vehicle and listened carefully without the noise of the car. She heard the rumble again, more clearly this time. It sounded familiar too, she concentrated on that familiarity and then it struck her.