Chapter 73: Duel of the Fates

Izuku stood in front of the bathroom mirror, just staring at his reflection. As he stared at his reflection he recalled all the times he had stood in front of a mirror like this one. Every occurrence was heralded as a night of violence. He'd been going on these nighttime excursions for so long, it was strange to think that this would be the last time. He always knew this time would come though, he just hadn't expected to be alive for this part. He always thought he'd be dead and gone, either from some powerful villain or in an attempt to kill Zeus.

He grabbed the small container of makeup and started applying it, obscuring his freckles and any other potentially identifying marks. Then he closed it and set it aside, picking up the small case next. He popped it open and the bioluminescent contacts shone with a red light. He carefully put them in, then looked at himself in the mirror once more. His jet-black hair and red eyes greeted him and a shiver ran down his spine. Yet, unlike all the times before he didn't feel the shift in mentality. Previously, his changing of appearance came with his shift in mentality to that of the Hunter. All in an attempt to disconnect himself from what he had done. It had been easier that way, he could pretend that the Hunter was a different person altogether, blame it all on "him".

But no more.

He was done pretending.

He went to the living room, where he had laid out all his combat gear. It was still in good condition since he'd used a completely different kit when fighting Zeus, but all that gear was scrap now.

He pulled on the body armor, ensuring it was firmly on then attached the arm pieces, followed by the legs. He equipped his weapons next, all of his small knives were snugly in their sheathes, followed by his katana strapped to his back and his wakizashi on his hip. He pulled on his gloves and was halfway done opening the window when he stopped. He turned back to the room and after another few moments of thought, he grabbed Sasakura's katana. He slung it around his body with a strap then he opened the window. He clambered out, closed the window then quickly scaled the wall until he got to the ground. He was about to turn and head toward the city when a shadow along the wall moved.

Izuku immediately went to draw his Wakizashi when he recognized the figure.

"Hawks..." he whispered to himself, surprised.

"Hey there, your Izuku right? A pleasure to meet you!" Hawks said upbeat, extending a hand.

Izuku stared at the hand, then at Hawk's lazy smile, and slowly shook it.

"I'd love to stick around and chat, but we're both in a bit of a hurry. You're going after Stain yeah?" Hawks asked, but it was clear he already knew the answer.

Izuku didn't bother answering, opting to stare instead.

"Nezu figured you'd try it so he asked me to swing by every few nights and keep an eye on you, and if I caught you heading out, then I'm to give you a lift." He said, still smiling.

"... what?" Izuku asked, not sure if he'd heard right.

"Look, just because Nezu runs a hero school doesn't mean he's a hero himself. He's the one that was giving Sasakura all that tech you've been rocking. Nezu's been in on your little crusade from the beginning. Which by extension included me and a few others, including your old mentor Naomasa." Hawks, said his smile fading as he took on a more serious attitude.

"We want to keep this nation together and keep heroism alive, and if that means bending rules then we're okay with that. So you can either let me give you a lift to where we think Stain is located, or you can go at it solo." Hawks said.

Izuku took a few moments to digest that revelation, before nodding. The next thing he knew, feathers from what remained of Hawk's wings latched on to key points in his armor and they were both flying across the night sky.