Chapter 1

Sammy

"Samuel George Albright! Get your ass outta bed!" I heard my mother's loud voice come through my door.

"Oh god." I yawned as I dragged myself out of bed.

I walked to my mirror and stared at myself. My brown hair was messy, and my blue eyes seemed dark with sleep as I pulled open my drawers.

"Sammy!" My older sister, Jenna banged on the door, "You're gonna be late!"

"Late?" I thought out loud, "late for what?" I called through the door.

Jenna did not answer.

I groaned as I pulled off my pajamas and threw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I went down the stairs as slowly as possible just to get on my mother's nerves. By the time I had reached the bottom of the stairs, Mom was standing there with her arm crossed, her eyes screaming murder.

"Samuel! How do you expect us to get anywhere on time? You do realize this is perhaps the most important day of your life!" She shouted in annoyance.

"What day is it?" I shrugged in genuine confusion.

"You are not serious?" Mom looked at me like I was stupid.

I shrugged.

"You forgot!" she flung her purse toward my head.

"What Mom?" I cried, "What'd I forget?" I shouted as she flung her purse at my head again.

"Geez Mom, chill!" My older brother, Matthew chuckled as he walked by with his wife, Eliza, on his arm. "It's Sammy! You knew he would forget! The kid forgets everything."

"I know!" She calmed at once, "But I had hopes he wouldn't forget the day as important as this one."

I stared at them in confusion, "Would someone please enlighten me?" I begged.

"It's your birthday, Samuel." Came the gruff voice of Ralph, Jenna's CEO husband.

"What?" I gapped, "Nu-uh! You're joking me!"

"No one is joking here Sammy, it's your birthday, and don't play stupid, you know what turning sixteen means." Matthew's voice was serious.

"It is not July 31," I said with determination.

Mom dug in her purse and pulled out her phone, shoving it in my face. It read 8:01 AM, 31 JULY 20XX.

"Oh, Shit!" I cussed under my breath.

"Hurry your ass up! We are late!" My mom rushed out as she made her way toward the door.

"Mom! Mom wait for me!" I shouted after her, grabbing my shoes as she walked out the door.

She was already in the elevator when I managed to somehow catch up to her; despite her small stature, the woman was fast on her feet.

"I can't believe you forgot your own birthday." She chided me as the elevator descended down from floor 30 to floor 1. "Sometimes I don't even think I gave birth to you! You're always late and you always forget everything important!" She whisper-yelled.

"Not everything!" I whined in opposition.

"You forget to do the dishes, you forget to clean your room, you never listen to me, you are so stubborn it hurts, your grades are horrendous cause you never remember your homework, you forgot to go to the birth of your nephew, you nearly missed last years final exams because you forgot to set your alarm, and just today you forgot to wake up early because you forgot it was your birthday and you forgot it was test day." She continued to berate me as I hung my head.