Chapter 64

Samuel

Aztec and I stared as Ramsey pulled Neil even closer. The poor boy was struggling against an imposing foe that would not release him.

Save him! Winter shrieked.

Aztec seized onto Ramsey and he dropped Neil. I dived down and grabbed his hand, dragging him out from beneath Ramsey's gaze.

He was sobbing and crying, gripping onto me as I dragged him. "Luna!" He whined.

"Come on!" I pulled him with all my might.

"What the hell is your problem?!" Aztec grabbed onto Ramsey's shoulders.

Ramsey's eyes were fading black.

"Shit!" Aztec cursed as Ramsey snarled and tried to leap at Neil.

The boy crawled up into my arms and I held him tightly as he lashed his fangs and claws.

"Mate!" Ramsey shouted. "Give me!" He lashed his fangs again and growled.

"Sam, run!" Nicholas and another man held Ramsey as he tried to grab at Neil.

"Come on!" I pulled Neil up with me and we both ran from the house.

"Secure him!" I heard Aztec order in his strangely deeper voice than normal as I shoved the door open and pushed Neil outside.

Neil crashed onto the porch. I went to go and help him but Winter screeched, GET THE DOOR.

I slammed the door behind me as Ramsey roared monstrously, his hand stretching out. He was screaming the word "mate" over and over and over. His voice sounded so broken.

Neil was a hysterical mess and just laid there on the porch for a moment, exhausted by the fast chain of events.

"N-No..."he shivered, "no no no!" He suddenly rose up, darting down the stairs.

"No no no no!" He kept repeating as he paced a minute at the bottom of the porch stairs.

"Neil..." I began. He seemed out of sorts, ready to dart, ready to run and hide.

Something in me told me not to let him...that it was wrong...and even though I was not used to the world I had been thrust into...something about the whole situation seemed wrong and Neil was terrified. The whole course of events happened fast and loose, and no one could react due to their shock.

Perhaps The Test had caused whatever had just happened to become obsolete...whatever it was.

"Noooo please...no no,"Neil drew my attention back to him as he wailed. He looked around for a minute, "I'm so sorry..." he whined at me, then he dashed off.

"Neil!" I shouted, "wait!" I chased off after him. What was he sorry for? What had just happened in the house? Why was he so scared?

I picked up my feet and went after him. I didn't feel right leaving him alone...he was so petrified...so sad...

As I chased after him, Neil saw me coming up behind and shot into the trees.

"Neil!" I called, "Neil come back! Don't run away!"

He's afraid, Sam. Winter added.

"No shit!" I shot back at him, somewhat annoyed. I could've used his all knowing ness sooner than later.

I turned around and saw people staring at me.

Go after him. Winter urged.

"Uhm... in there?" I pointed into the trees.