Chapter 59

Samuel

I couldn't believe my ears as the doctor rattled on an on about my...situation.

He said I was a hybrid...and that I had been given some sort of antigen to block Winter...

He then asked me a bunch of stupid questions for five minutes until Nicholas decided to step in.

I started out of that doctors office and ran directly upstairs to the room I shared with Nicholas. I will admit a sense of confusion when I was up on the second floor, but the faint scent of sandalwood led me in the right direction.

I walked until I reached the door that was drenched in the scent. I pushed it open and was happy to see the familiar room in front of my eyes. I let out a sigh of relief as I dragged my feet into the room and threw my body into the bed.

Well...that couldn't have gone better. Winter suddenly spoke.

"Could have gone better my ass." I buried my head in the bed.

At least we said the truth. It was as if I could see Winter smiling.

"Who is 'we' you silent bitch?" I cursed him and kept my head buried.

It's not like I can talk. Winter deadpanned.

"Well you're not-," I began, but I was interrupted by Nicholas entering the room.

I lifted my body and turned. He looked mad as hell.

"What's wrong?" I asked before I thought.

He raised his eyebrow at me.

"What?" I rose up more on my elbows.

"Well...I just ran into Lula." He sighed heavily as he dragged his feet over and crashed onto the bed beside me.

Her chipper voice rang in my head.

"Chipper bitch," Winter and I thought at the same time.

"What'd she want?" I turned my head toward him. His sandalwood scent assaulting my nostrils. I could've sworn an intense heat expanded through my body.

"Talking about Neil." He sighed as he turned to me.

"About what?" My curiosity got the best of me.

"Asking a bunch of shit." He spat.

"Like?"

"Shit about how he's not ready for the Test and then I went off into a rant because she pissed me off." I could sense his rage boiling.

"His Test?" I raised an eyebrow. "Oh yeah, he's about my age,huh?"

"Yeah." He sighed again.

"I thought the Test wasn't a choice." I sat up and looked down in him a bit.

"It's not. It hasn't been for a long time now. Everyone does it at 16. It just varies a bit based on the race." He began. "For humans, blood or eye scans are used, usually blood. Wolfs do both to be sure. Warlocks and Witches do scent somehow...it's based on blood but hell if I know. Vampires only use blood." He continued.

"But-how does everyone get checked to be sure...that they've had their Test?" I wondered.

"It's not a full proof plan. Usually they use birthdates and birth certificates. Social security too. But only if you were born after a certain date about 15 years ago. It's not the best. But if a certain person hasn't been registered to take their Test within like a year, then the appointment is made for them. If they don't keep it, they send about the ABP." he sat up to face me.

"The...what?" I couldn't help but chuckle at the acronym.

"ABP. Association for Breeding Purpose. I know the name is all messed up, but they've got some power." He reached out and his fingers grazed my face.

"Why wouldn't Lula want him to take it?" I felt myself moving closer to him.

"Said he was too weak or something to that effect." Nicholas rolled his eyes.

"He's not that weak," I said without thinking.

Nicholas looked at me funny.

"He's different at school...I mean yeah he's...an omega or whatever, but he's stronger than you think." I was thinking aloud.

Nicholas just raised an eyebrow at me.

"Never mind." I let my body crash back into the bed.

Nicholas crashed back onto the bed with me and we laid there for a little bit before he spoke up.

"I've got a better idea," he began.

"What?" I vocalized.

"I've been thinking about how Ramsey got here...ya know how he figured out about you and stuff." He continued.

"Yeah...now that you mention it, it is weird." I chimed in. "I've never met him before, I've never heard his pack, and if I'm being honest, my mother has a vendetta against wolves and other supernatural creatures. It's not like we ever would have had contact." I shrugged.

"So how then," Nicholas shot up, causing the bed to bounce and me bounce with it.

Fuck! Winter shouted suddenly as my body went up in the air and crashed back down, nearly falling off the bed. 

All I did was grimace.

"How the hell did he get information about you and you coming here?" He started to pace. "The fucker is from New York State!" He threw his hands up.

"Don't ask me," I pulled my body up. "Ask Ramsey."

Nicholas stopped in his tracks and faced me. "What'd you say?"

"Ask Ramsey, he's still here isn't he?" I shrugged.

"Yeah, but he's always surrounded by his minions." Nicholas scowled.

He wasn't wrong, Ramsey was always with people, with his men. Nicholas, on the other hand, seemed more solitary. He was with me or Eddie, and anytime he was with Eddie it seemed more like it was for work. Me, well, I was his mate.

He kinda had to be with me, didn't he? He was stuck with me.

Otherwise, he was alone.

He never was followed by pack members or anything the way that Ramsey was. In fact, the two seemed like night and day.

Nicholas's pack treated him as their leader and a supreme alpha. They both feared and respected him.

Ramsey, on the other hand, the men I've seen with him may have respected him because he was an alpha, but they didn't fear him. Not the same way that the WhiteFalls Pack feared Nicholas.

I'm not saying all fear is good, but I assume, as an Alpha, some fear is good in terms of being a leader.

"Come on," Nicholas reached out for my hand.

"Wha? Why?" I pulled myself out of my head.

"Come on!" Nicholas lunged a bit and took my hand, dragging me out of the room.

"Where are we going??" I mini-panicked.

I sense stupidity or danger or both. I visualized Winter's eyes rolling as he whined.

"To talk to Ramsey," he pulled me on.

"Wait why are you taking me with you?!?" I tried to pull back but it was useless; his grip was iron.

"I would assume he'd see you alone. It's easier to get information out of someone alone." Nicholas kept dragging me.

"Is that it?" I felt a bit dejected.

"That," he smiled, "and you need to get used your new duties too. School is one thing...which I'm not gonna lie I also hated. I didn't do well, and I guess I've always thought it was better to learn on the job." He winked at me as he tugged me down the stairs.

The entire time he talked, the only thing I could think about, however, was the fire that I felt throughout my body, and my intense desire to scratch the black mark that covered my neck and leeched onto my back and arm.