Chapter 5

Sammy

I woke up in a puddle of my own sweat.

It was pitch black outside, and as I turned on my phone, the scream blinked 4:34 AM.

"Shit!" I cursed as I got out of bed.

My eyes cut to my bedside table; I grabbed the crucifix and pulled it around my neck as my mind began to think. I didn't even know when that wolf guy would be there to pick me up, so I walked into the connecting bathroom and threw cold water into my face.

"It's too fucking early!" I wailed to myself as I pulled off my soiled clothes and grabbed the nearest, most comfortable thing I could.

I combed out my hair and brushed my teeth. I couldn't help but stop and stare at myself in the mirror.

I was wholly unprepared for what was to come...and that devil with the green eyes kept appearing in my head...each time it appeared, the more terrified I became of it.

I had not bothered to actually read the information in the folder, I had only looked at his picture, glanced at his name, and looked where he lived.

I slipped on tennis shoes and pulled my suitcase out of my room. The thing was heavy, and it was a hassle for me to pull it down the stairs...yet somehow, despite my small self, I hobbled the suitcase down the stairs. I pulled my phone out of my back pocket, it read 5:02 AM, and I rolled my suitcase to the edge of the couch.

I plopped down and hugged a pillow in my arms...just sitting...just waiting...

I didn't know how much time had passed before I heard someone stomping down the stairs. I turned around to see a groggy Matthew. He yawned as he trotted into the kitchen. He didn't even see me sitting on the couch. I heard him banging around in the kitchen for a moment before the patter of his feet came into the living room.

"Ah! Holy shit!" He screamed, throwing his hands up in the air, dropping whatever he was carrying.

I only stared at him.

"Sammy?!" He yowled as he turned on the light. "What the hell are you doing in the dark?!"

"I'm just waiting," I felt my voice crack.

"Why?" He reached down to clean up what he had dropped.

"I didn't know what time that guy was gonna come...and when I woke up I couldn't go back to to sleep. I've been sitting here like an hour." I explained.

"Ugh," Matthew heaved, "didn't they tell you what time to be ready?" He asked.

I shook my head side to side.

"Can I persuade you to go up to your room and rest a bit?" He leaned over and put his hand on my shoulder.

"Nope." I made sure to pop the "p".

"It's only 6:00 am Sammy. You shoulda just stayed in bed." He cooed.

"Yeah right. Like I would willingly give Mom another reason to scream at me." I scoffed as I folded my arms over my chest.

"Are you all packed up?" He spoke up as he strode back into the kitchen.

"I guess." I answered him, "I wasn't sure what to bring..."

"Sammy, you bring clothes and pictures and shoes and stuff like that. You know stuff suited for the climate." He spoke loudly from the kitchen.

"Yeah, I figured that." I sneered.

"Where does the guy even live?" Matthew asked as he walked back into the living room. He pressed a warm cup in my hands. "It's hot chocolate, your favorite." He smiled.