Chapter 3

Sammy

My mother was silent until we got back to our apartment. She burst in the house and went straight to the kitchen. I followed in, closing the door behind me.

"Mom? Sammy?" Matthew called out as he walked into the kitchen. He was holding his son, Peter. "So, how'd it go?" He smirked as Peter cooed.

"Well," I started.

"Fucking awful. That's how it went. It went fucking awful." She poured herself a glass of wine and began to chug it.

"What do you mean? What happened?" Matthew asked as he passed Peter to Eliza.

"I-I got p-paired..." I stuttered quietly as Mom continued to drink.

"No you didn't." He dared.

I stared up at him.

"You're shitting me? Right?" He laughed.

Mom set down her glass with a thud, "'No, it's real. It's all real."

"How'd that even happen? I mean Jenna and I were negative! How is he positive?" Matthew bombarded Mom with questions.

"No idea! Apparently it's really rare but not unheard of!" She poured herself more wine.

"What's the news?" Jenna came into the kitchen with Ralph on her heels.

"He got paired!" Matthew threw his hands up in defeat.

"He didn't get paired; you don't do it yourself, it's not like he chose." Jenna retorted.

She'd always been a smartass.

"So who is your pair?" Eliza's quiet voice came from beside me.

"Some guy—," I sighed in defeat.

I was still holding the manilla folder in my hands tightly.

There was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it!" Jenna called as she walked off, Ralph following her.

"Oh! Hello!" She chirped, "Please come in!" It was if I could hear her smile.

"Mom! Sammy!" She ran into the kitchen. "A man is here! He says he is here to brief Sammy on pack stuff."

"Like werewolf stuff?" Eliza asked as Peter jerked himself toward Matthew.

"Yeah!" Jenna shook her head ferociously.

"He will only want to talk to Samuel!" Mom hiccuped, her face slightly red. "I'm gong to lay down." She disappeared into her room off of the kitchen.

Everyone just stared at her, and they turned their eyes to me as soon as her figure was gone.

I choked up a bit as I slid myself into the living room. The man was seated in a chair opposite the couch. He was large, with silvery blond hair, and he wore glasses.

He heard me coming and turned in my direction.

"Samuel Albright?" He rose an eyebrow at me.

"Yeah...Sammy." I answered as I sat in front of him.

I placed the manilla folder on the coffee table and fiddled with the bottom of my shirt.