Chapter 72

Samuel

"But-," Jenna began to speak.

"Oh by the way," I put my hands on my hips. "If our father was this alpha wolf thingy, what are you?"

She gazed away.

LYING WHORE. Winter shouted suddenly.

"Jenna Mary Magdalene Albright Stein don't you lie to me!" I found a deep courage as I spoke.

"We are not any thing really," she shrugged. "You, Matthew, and I didn't inherit his genes...that's why he went off with that whore and had that blight of a man...Ramsey."

HAH! That's what she thinks. Winter commented snidely. And how dare she put down someone she seemed to have trusted enough to come get us?! Hah!

"Oh blight of a man is he? Yet you call him to come get me or some shit like that?" I felt my hair standing up.

"I didn't think I had a choice...I didn't know where you were and I figured...." She trailed off.

That he could lead you!

"That he could lead you to me, right?" My anger reached breaking point and Winter and I began to speak as one.

"Well...yes." She noticed my ears turning red. "Sammy don't be angry! I just wanted to see if you were safe! And this-!" She pointed at Nicholas, "this isn't safe!" She took a step forward, I took a step back.

"It's safer and more comfortable than any home in New York!" I threw my hands up. "Don't try to lie to me! I know that Mom sent you here! And him too!" I began to rant. I felt Nicholas put his hand on my lower back, but it was too late. It had already begun. "Because I am the family fuck up who got mated to a wolf!" The words flew out of my mouth before I thought. "She sent you didn't she?! The old bitch! She can't handle the fact that this is normal now! Hah! Some spokesperson she is!" I roared as Jenna sat back down.

Winter growled in my mind and as she turned her gaze away and I knew I was right.

My mother had never vocalized any love forward the supernatural...but it was the wolves she hated most. This has been clear to me since I was small. She always sneered at them when they were on tv, she kept herself separate from her wolfish coworkers more so than the vampires or the warlocks and witches...and every time a wolf would dare come near us, she turned up her nose and often pulled me and my siblings to whatever side was farthest away from the person.

Vampires she could tolerate. Witches and warlocks she was friendly. But werewolves...no, never, not once.

Now that I was mated to one...well I bet she had become a sort of pariah, probably not socially...not to the outer world, but to herself and her strange group of friends...she would've been isolated. She was probably trying everything she could to get rid of me or indeed my stigma. The stigma I caused her in her fancy group of people who hated everything in this new world.

"Sammy..." Jenna called, drawing my attention back.

"No," I put my hand up, stopping her as she began to walk toward me.

"Sam," Nicholas put his hand back on my lower waist...he had apparently removed it at some point. He leaned into my ear, "do you want to leave?" He pulled back and looked into my eyes.

His voice was so soft they couldn't hear him.

I never knew he could talk so softly.

I took his arm as he placed it in front of me, and he seemed to encircle me. His scent assaulted me, but it calmed me at once.