Chapter 62

Nicholas

"What the hell are you talking about?" I used all my strength to suppress a shout as Eddie spoke in hushed tones.

"That Alpha is getting anxious about the Luna." Eddie began, "I heard some of his minions talking about the Luna, the mark you gave and the heat and such. To sum it up, they think that that Alpha will kidnap the Luna."

"He wouldn't dare," I tried to control Aztec. "He is well aware that a marked Luna away from their mate is a sick Luna."

"But he is also aware a Luna not fully bonded can have the bond broken." Eddie added matter of factly.

"Shut up," I cringed at his words. "Samuel wouldn't leave here. Didn't you hear him earlier? He wants to stay."

"Yeah, but there could be tons of reasons for that." Eddie rubbed his neck.

"What are you talking about?" I crossed my arms.

"I mean," He sighed, "Look," he motioned for us to go upstairs, "I'm not saying he's not getting used to it here or anything...but, what has it been, like a week-ish. The Luna probably doesn't want to go anywhere else because this has all been very traumatic for him. Think about it, he had to travel across the country, and within the first few days, Aztec goes Apeshit from weird ass pent up werewolf shit I don't know about because you're the alpha of alphas and you've got your own special weird shit. Then this random ass character from back across the country comes to retrieve you. I would freak the shit out too. I wouldn't wanna go anywhere else, especially with a stranger who doesn't do anything but stalk and brood around here. I think the Luna thinks the same. For him, it's just better to stay here. He would have to come back anyways. There's no point in it." He explained as we walked upstairs. "I think it's best we just get Ramsey out of here." We walked toward my office.

I caught an unmistakable smell as we walked inside.

Sam. Aztec piped up.

"Yeah," I answered him as Eddie continued.

"What did you talk about with him anyway?" He asked.

"I asked him a bunch of questions that he gave decent answers too." I rolled my eyes as I went to my desk.

Sam's smell was strongest there.

He'd sat here for something.

"He actually answered?" Eddie chuckled in disbelief.

"Yeah, basically, after a little deal making." I shook the mouse on my computer.

"Deal making?" Eddie leaned forward, "what deal?"

"Nothing to terrible," I cut my eyes to him, "he just wanted to see whoever was with Sam earlier in our bedroom."

"Why?" He seemed taken aback.

"I wouldn't know why." I shrugged my shoulders as I typed in my password.

"Who was in there with him?" Eddie asked.

"Just Neil," I opened the searching app on the computer screen.

"Neil? Why was he in your room?" Eddie continued.

"Hiding probably. He never liked people." I scrolled over the history on the app and at once I saw four or five recently closed tabs. I clicked the first one and an article popped up. "Hm," I vocalized without thinking.

"What is it Nick?" Eddie stood and walked behind my desk. "What the hell?"

I leaned back in my chair as I read the headline, "ALPHA KILLED IN FREAK ACCIDENT."

Eddie began to read the first part of the article,
"ALPHA ROWAN KING WAS FOUND DECEASED IN AN ABANDONED WAREHOUSE WITH A STRANGE SUBSTANCE IN HIS BLOODSTREAM. THE SUBSTANCE IS THOUGHT TO HAVE LEAD TO THE DEMISE OF THE GREAT ALPHA."

He looked at me and I looked at him.

His father was dead.

Ramsey's mother, Mariana Gray, was dead.

Sam and his family were alive.

His sister had told Ramsey about Sam and shit.

"Look," Eddie read on, "The Alpha is survived by his mate, Mariana, and their young son, Ramsey."

"Mate?" I raised an eyebrow. How could he have had two families? Perhaps the moon goddess played him a fool and gave him his mate late in life. Perhaps he didn't deserve one till later in life.

"Rowan King..." Eddie repeated. "Where do I know that name?" He looked at me.

My brain immediately clicked.

"Rowan King was one of the leaders in the War, wasn't he? And he helped develop The Test. He was a doctor or something." My mind wheels began to turn.

"But that doesn't make sense," Eddie began, "Ramsey is like 22 or 23 or something. The Luna is 16. How does that math work. Let's say for example the Luna was five when the war finished. Ramsey would've been 11 or something to that nature. How would've Rowan have been the Luna's father?"

"It wasn't uncommon in those days for a wolf to have more than one family...especially if they weren't mated till late in life. Often they would marry mortal women and then produce offspring with them. It could be that the same thing has happened in this instance. His father married young, then found his mate later and didn't tell his wife." He shrugged. "Think, Sam's mother is Mary-Ellen Albright. She's a leader in anti-werewolf movements and is known to be trying to create serums and such to downplay and even kill wolves. She is adamantly against them, but you do not see her in any other agencies against other supernaturals."

"It shows contempt toward our species..." Eddie began.

"Because?" I led him.

"Because her husband left her after being mated to a wolf woman...and by mortal laws, he was having an affair for who knows how long before she noticed." Eddie rubbed his face.

"Sam didn't know his father, so he was gone before he could form memories...probably when he was a baby." I sighed.

It was no wonder Sam wanted to know more information about his father, he had been deprived of it probably his entire life. His mother didn't seem the type to share any true information about his father or origins if any.

It was even clear she didn't.

Sam's wolf had been subdued by some substance, and Paul was looking into it.

I felt anger and rage within me.

Sam had truly drawn the short stick in everything...

His father whom he died to know, was dead.

He had a brother older than him, which meant that, in his mind, he probably believed his father cheated.

He was mated to me...an old man out of touch with the world and out of touch with himself.

All I wanted to do was make him feel better, and I didn't know exactly how.