Chapter 42

Samuel

"The fuck?" I couldn't contain my shock as Nicholas opened the door and Ramsey was standing there.

I clutched onto Nicholas for dear life, trying not to fall from his grasp in my weakened state, as Ramsey stared burning holes at us.

"You got a problem?" I felt snarky, "No?" I asked when he didn't reply. "Then move." I spat harshly.

Ramsey still didn't move.

"Hello?" I called out, "hello?!"

I glanced up at Nicholas.

"MOVE OUT OF OUR WAY YOU MOTHERFUCKER!" I shouted, finally grasping Ramsey's attention. He seemed taken aback, but he slide over as Nicholas carried me down the hallway.

As he carried me, I caught a faint glimpse of Neil whittling in a corner. He was quite literally hidden behind a door, staring as we passed him.

"I can walk you know," I looked up at Nicholas.

"I know that," he jerked his head. "I just prefer to carry you right now." He smirked a little as he bought me into the living room.

"Don't put me in your lap," I was quick to say, "I'm not a child."

"You're 16?" He stopped and raised an eyebrow.

"So? Doesn't make me a kid. In fact, after half the shit we've done, and with this," I gestured to the mark peaking out of my clothes, "I am definitely no kid."

I saw his eyes flash to back and return to normal at once.

He chuckled deeply as he strode over and put me in a chair.

I crossed my arms as he sat directly beside me.

Within seconds, it appeared as if all the people funneled into the living room. My eyes darted between all the men and in the corner of my eye I saw a flick of hair falling downward.

"Luna!" The chipper voice squeaked.

As if the Red Sea parted, the men made a path for Lula to come toward me.

Her eyes were filled with worry as she latched onto me and hugged me tight.

"Are you alright??" She stressed.

"I-I'm fine, Lula!" I tried to shake her off.

Affection from a woman was odd. Odder still because I never really had any.

My mother wasn't affectionate and Jenna was...well, Jenna. Even my brother's wife was timid around me.

I may as well have had the actual plague most of my life.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" She petted my hair and I shoved her hand away.

"Lula," Nicholas's stern voice piped up.

She stopped at once, just in time for Eddie to arrive, slightly heaving. He glided over to her and she faded behind him.

"Now," Nicholas's voice was rough, "We have a discussion to commence," I followed his gaze to see Ramsey leaning on a wall amidst his men.

"Yes, we do." Ramsey's gaze went to me, not Nicholas.

I heard Nicholas growl lowly.

Ramsey waved his hand and his men suddenly vacated the room.

"Out," Nicholas waved his hand.

Everyone left the room apart from Ramsey, Nicholas, and I. Eddie had to drag Lula out even as she protested in harsh, rushed whispers. She reached out at me and Eddie managed to lift her with one of his arms and carried her out.

"Out with it," Nicholas leaned forward, his hands rested on his legs and I could see his muscles flexing through his shirt.

"Well," Ramsey strutted toward a chair at juxtaposition just near us. "First things first," he sat down. "What is to be done about this?" He gestured between himself and I.

"Nothing," Nicholas's mouth formed a firm line. "What needs to be done? He's in my care."

"From the information I have, he is 16. And you are how old?" Ramsey raised an eyebrow.

Nicholas did not reply.

"Oh oh that's right, best not to admit you're 29." Ramsey scrunched his face. "I do not see it in his best interest to be here with you."

"It is not your decision." Nicholas began, "Samuel is my mate. I've been waiting for him for years. The Moon Goddess has blessed me and I will not let you take him from me." I could see Nicholas trying to restrain Aztec from within.

My eyes shot over to Ramsey; and then to myself in a mirror on a wall across the way.

I could see a passing resemblance between us, but I did not know him any better than I knew Nicholas.

What purpose could I have I'm going with the man sitting across from us?

"I could protect him better if he were with me." Ramsey began. "My pack is smaller and does not draw as much...attention."

"Look," Nicholas gritted his teeth, "You would be postponing the inevitable. You know the ways. He'd just come back the minute he turned 18. That is the law and you can't change it. He may be your half brother, but he is my mate and I know I have much more say in the courts than you do, Pup." He turned his eyes down at Ramsey.

Ramsey shot upward, "You son of a-!" He began.

"Ah ah!" Nicholas stood up, he was taller than Ramsey by at least four inches. "Watch your mouth. I am Alpha here and you're far from home."

"Far from home...?" My voice squeaked out.

"Oh," Nicholas's eyes gazed down at me. "Didn't he tell you? Oh I guess not. This dumbass is from New York State."

I felt my skin crawl a bit. "You're from New York?"

"Yeah," Ramsey turned to me, "Near Albany."

"Samuel is from NYC." Nicholas stated matter of factly. "Didn't know that, did ya?"

Ramsey seemed a bit surprised.

"I don't suppose you knew about him; any sooner and you could've taken guardianship from me. But oh well, looks like you're late. Samuel's home is here now, in New Haven, in Oregon, with me and my pack."

"I don't trust you with my little brother." Ramsey folded his arms. "You're a 29 year old man. He's a child."

I immediately felt my hair stand on end. "I'm not a child," I pouted a bit, I felt my blood begin to boil.

"I'm his mate, I wouldn't harm him." Nicholas spat.

"Haven't you harmed him already?" Ramsey argued.

"I-," He began.

"He is marked," Ramsey pointed at the black lines leaching onto my neck. "He has clearly been wounded by you before, he quivers in your presence, he doesn't seem to be able to think for himself, and me and you both know what that mark without mating means." Ramsey berated Nicholas.

"Ask him for yourself then," Nicholas challenged, "Ask Samuel what he wants."

Ramsey turned back to me at once,

"Well, Samuel?" He raised an eyebrow, "what do you want? Would you rather stay here, or go home with me? Back to New York."