Chapter 1 Trouble in the Desert

July 2019, Nevada, U

July 2019, Nevada, U.S.A

"Are you sure about this?" Leah, Michelle's best friend, asked her as she got into her sedan.

"Leah, it's summer break - the last one before real life begins. I want to do this. It's now or never. I can cover a lot of places in eight weeks." Michelle replied through the open car window.

"But a cross-country tour in a little sedan all by yourself seems so - scary!" Leah protested. "And it's not like you have a boyfriend to go along with-" Leah received a sharp nudge from Brynn, who was standing beside her. The three of them were best friends and usually did everything together since high school - Until Michelle decided to do something she had never done before - make an unusual decision to go on a tour of the country.

"You don't have to remind her," Brynn whispered to Leah. Michelle smiled.

"It's okay guys. I'll be fine. But keep in mind I may not be able to call often on the road so just be patient for the postcards. They may be slow but they'll come." Leah hugged her through the open window.

"We're going to miss you like crazy!" she said. Brynn looked like she was holding back tears.

"Be safe, okay Shelly? We're a team and we expect you to get back for our final year in one piece."

"It's just a car tour, Brynn! I'm not even leaving the country." She started her engine.

"Well, I should get going. I want to make it to my first stop before sunset." Leah sniffed and waved.

"Bye, Michelle! We love you! Have a great trip!"

"Take care, Michelle! We hope you find what you're looking for!" Michelle's friends waved and she watched them in the rearview mirror as she drove off into the open roads away from her college - and into the unknown.

After an hour of enjoying the scenery of the open roads and wide-spaced lands, Michelle couldn't distract herself any longer. Brynn's words kept playing back in her head. Michelle was looking for something - a lot of things actually.

College with her best friends had been great - studying music had been great, and she enjoyed every minute of it. but what she expected to satisfy in college that was lacking in high school soon faded away after the first few months. And the need - the craving for something else set in.

At first, Michelle felt thrilled at the prospect of college - the reduced restraints, the freedom, the fun of fending for herself, living with her friends, learning to adjust to the mature life... it was all good. But eventually, she found something lacking - and it only made her feel depressed.

Her friends worried about her for the past year trying to cheer her up with all the parties and blind dates they could set up. But even that didn't interest her anymore. Michelle felt like an outcast; why was she feeling so disinterested in everything that would have made any other girl ecstatic?