Chapter 23 Vegas Tour... or Date

Michelle stirred and opened her eyes

Michelle stirred and opened her eyes. She was lying in Brook's arms again – and he was awake. He looked down into her open eyes.

"Morning," he said with a small smile. Michelle noticed his expression wasn't as relaxed as usual. His eyes were masking emotion and she could feel the tension in his body.

"Is everything alright?" she asked, placing her hand over his heart.

"Why wouldn't it be? We got away from the Inferno Ghosts, we got the car, avoided the cops, no one got hurt..." He trailed off, looking tense.

"Then why doesn't it look like a win for you?" Michelle asked with concern. "I know something's off, Brook. You've been quiet ever since we got back last night."

"I thought you were asleep." He said.

"I wasn't entirely. Please, tell me what's wrong." He studied her eyes and she could see him considering what to say.

"Last night, if you hadn't been with me... I would've gone after the Ghosts myself." Michelle was taken aback. She hadn't been expecting that.

"Why?" she asked, her voice wavering.

"Because it was Jackson chasing us – Jackson who'd tracked us down to Vegas. He's after me – and he's after you. I would've finished him off right then if I was alone. He wants me so bad? He'll get me." Michelle felt a shiver of fear pass through her.

"You would've gone head-on with the Ghosts because of Jackson?"

"Michelle, you don't understand. He's the son of the man who cost my dad his life. You think I wouldn't want revenge?" Brook's tone was hard. Michelle swallowed.

"He's been threatening us for years. He's the whole reason this crew exists. Because no one is safe unless he's out of the way. That goes for you too." Brook's eyes softened a little as he touched her cheek.

"You're not safe as long as he's alive. He's tried to get you more than once; he'll try again. And I can't sit back and do nothing about it. I won't lose you too." He spoke the last words with fervor. Michelle exhaled. Now she understood his dilemma.

"Brook, listen to me. We're gonna defeat him someday okay? But please promise me you'll never go after him alone. You said you don't want to lose me; I don't want to lose you either. And I'm afraid that will happen if you decide to go after him." he remained quiet at her words.

"Brook, please. I love you and I can't lose you while you pursue revenge." Michelle pleaded, her eyes filling up. He pulled her close.

"Shh. Don't cry. I'm not gonna leave you. As long as you want me... I'll be there for you."

"Promise." Michelle pleaded. Brook hesitated for a moment before answering.

"I promise." Feeling slightly relieved, she leaned her head on his chest. She could feel that the tension hadn't melted away from him yet.