Chapter 9 Shadows from the Past

"There he is!" Jett exclaimed as Brook drove into the base

"There he is!" Jett exclaimed as Brook drove into the base. Everyone had gathered around in front of the car. Michelle squinted as her eyes adjusted to the bright light after the darkness of the tunnel. She sensed the tension was high as they got out of the car.

"Well, well, well. The prodigal returns." Reece said with sarcasm. Payton stepped through the others walking straight towards Brook. Without warning, he rammed his fist into Brook's jaw. Brook staggered back, rubbing his lip.

"Payton stop!" Michelle shouted. "It wasn't his fault! I'm the one who wanted to leave!" She stepped between him and Brook holding out her arms.

"Of course, it's his fault! That damn idiot deserves a whole lot worse!" Payton spat. Brook pulled Michelle aside to face him.

"Don't talk like that in front of her!" Brook roared. Soriano stepped forward.

"Brook, I'll see you in the hangar – NOW. Payton, leave it to me. And somebody see to Michelle. Jett, you're on guard duty. Give us a head's up if you see anything." Soriano took Brook by the arm and pushed him toward the control room next to the infirmary. Leslie laid a hand on Michelle's shoulder.

"Come on kid. Let's get you something to eat." Michelle was still seething with anger towards Payton as she walked towards the living room. She almost stumbled off her feet when he suddenly grabbed her wrist and began to drag her away.

"Hey! Let go!" Michelle protested. He paid no heed. He pulled her into the game room and shoved her forward making her fall over the pool table.

"Payton stop! Don't hurt her!" Leslie called out.

"You dumb ass! Soriano's gonna kill you if she gets hurt!" Paige shouted. Payton shut the door to the game room and bolted it. The others banged on the door but he ignored them. Then he turned to Michelle with scorching eyes.

"I'm not afraid of you," she said, clutching her stomach which had hit the pool table. He approached her, his lethal glare never leaving her face.

"You should be. You should be afraid of a lot more things. Most of all, me." Michelle only glared back at him. She inched away from the pool table.

"What were you thinking? What selfish thoughts were running through your head when you left this place? Can you answer that?" Payton's voice was low but dangerous. Michelle was half-afraid he would get physical.

"I'll tell you what you were thinking. You thought our threats of danger were a joke. That you could gamble with our lives as freely as you gamble with yours. You thought you could trust Brook to get you out and bring you back in one piece at the risk of exposing our hideout. You thought we were all a joke, fighting with our lives and putting everything on the line for a damn girl we only met a week ago!" Payton's voice rose higher with each sentence and Michelle found herself trembling. Payton noticed and stepped closer, grabbing her wrists and pinning them to the pool table.