Chapter 29 Pain

The atmosphere was saturated with unspoken fury as everyone stared at Brook and Payton facing each other in the middle of the room

The atmosphere was saturated with unspoken fury as everyone stared at Brook and Payton facing each other in the middle of the room. Michelle watched Brook with tears in her eyes. She couldn't imagine what was going through his head. He'd just heard that the man responsible for his father's death was alive. She felt her heart drop at the thought of what Brook might do next.

"Brook..." she began. But he ignored her and walked towards the door again. Payton grabbed his arm more strongly this time and twisted it.

"Let go!" Brook yelled. Reece and Jett were on top of him in an instant trying to keep him from going out the door.

"You're not going anywhere," Soriano said in a low firm voice.

"You think you can keep me here?! You think you have any power over me after lying to me about Kromer?!" Brook yelled.

"Don't be stupid Brook! They'll kill you if you go there." Reece said, struggling to hold his shoulders down.

"Not if I kill them first," Brook said ferociously. Payton gave him a resounding right hook in the jaw that knocked Brook to the ground.

"Payton stop!" Michelle yelled.

"He needs to see sense and the only way to make him do that is to knock some into him!" Payton shouted.

"You can't go after them, Brook!" Leslie said.

"None of you are gonna stop me!" Brook shouted back. "They've been on a killing spree searching for me?! Well, I'm not gonna let anyone else die because of me! I'm gonna find them and kill them myself!"

"Brook, please!" Michelle pleaded. He turned to her.

"I won't let them get you either! I'm doing this to protect you!" he struggled against the three pairs of arms in vain before letting out a yell of frustration.

"You're ready to go after Kromer for your stupid revenge and leave Michelle?! What about her safety? Don't you care about her? How selfish can you be?!" Payton asked harshly.

"She'll never be safe as long as they're out there! I'm gonna stop them! I'm gonna kill them! Kromer and his son! Nobody is gonna stop me!" Brook shouted in rage. Paige stepped forward holding something in her hand.

"I'm sorry for doing this to you Brook, but it's for your own good." She slapped a cloth over Brook's mouth. In a second Brook's limbs went slack and he slumped backward, his eyes shut.

"What did you do to him?" Michelle asked in a hoarse voice.

"Chloroform. It's a mild tranquilizer. It was the only way to pacify him. He should wake up in a few hours." Paige said. Jett and Payton carried him up the stairs to his room and came down. Michelle leaned on the wall for support.

"We need some fuel," Leslie said, trying to lighten the air. She went to the kitchen to make some coffee.

"Sit down before you collapse," Paige said on seeing Michelle's pale face. Michelle made her way to the couch and buried her head in her hands.