Chapter 4 Sparks

Everyone gathered around the couch

Everyone gathered around the couch. Leslie and Payton sat down next to Michelle, while Brook leaned against the wall with his arms folded. Paige sat on the ledge of the couch with one leg over the other and Jett pulled up an office chair on wheels and sat back to front on it. Soriano stood in the middle of the group.

"Okay, now that we're all present –" Jett began, but Paige cut him off.

"Can we just get on already? Skip the lame speech."

"I think Michelle should speak. We haven't heard her story yet." Soriano said. Everybody looked at Michelle.

"Um... first of all, thank you, guys, for letting me stay here." She said. Leslie smiled.

"It's nothing kiddo. You're welcome here," she said. Paige scoffed but said nothing.

"But I want to know what's going on. Do you guys know anything about those cars that were chasing me? And why hasn't anyone called the cops yet? I mean, Leslie said my car blew up and I'm stranded here – wouldn't it be better to get the cops? I'm sure those men are wanted or something. From what you guys were saying earlier, it doesn't sound like I'm the first victim to get thrown off the road by them." Brook looked down to avoid Michelle's eyes.

"You've got your facts mixed up, angel face. Your car didn't blow up; it was blown up." Paige said, examining her nails.

"What? But I thought –" Michelle turned to Leslie.

"She probably didn't tell you because you look so – fragile," Payton said. "Those," he called the men a word that made Michelle wince, "tracked you down and set your car on fire. It's their way of saying they're after you. They won't leave you alone. No one gets away from them." Payton said.

"She doesn't need to know all that Payton!" Brook growled. Payton grinned humorlessly.

"What, are you trying to protect her? Pathetic. Anyway, she asked for the truth." He said.

"Wait, you didn't answer my question. Why can't we call the cops? Shouldn't they be the first to be notified about this?" Michelle asked again. Everyone avoided her eyes. Soriano stepped forward and spoke.

"There are no police around here. And even if there was, they wouldn't be any good."

"Why?" Michelle asked. Soriano looked at Brook. Brook nodded.

"Time's up. It's time for you to go to bed." Brook said, coming and taking Michelle's arm.

"What? No! I want to know why –"

"Because they'd kill us okay?! Sheesh, shut up about the cops already." Paige snapped.

"But... I don't understand. Why would they be after you? And who are those men? Who's gonna get them?" Michelle asked, staring straight at Paige.

"What do you think, we're all model citizens?! And those men," she spat the word out, "are the law around here! Nobody touches them, they control everything!"