Chapter 11 Newest Crew Member

"Hurray, Michelle! You are officially a legit member of this crew now

"Hurray, Michelle! You are officially a legit member of this crew now." Jett said, throwing his fist in the air. Payton got up and walked off.

"You're gonna regret this." He said before leaving. Leslie sighed.

"I don't like this but... I can see you don't have another choice." She said to Michelle.

"I'd like to speak with you alone Michelle," Soriano said, standing up. "Follow me." Michelle looked at Brook with nervous eyes.

"Go." He said, nodding reassuringly. Michelle followed him out of the room.

"This way," Soriano said, leading her past the control room into a small office.

"Take a look." He said as they stopped in front of a wall full of framed photos.

"These are all the men who stood up with me twenty years ago. Half of them..." Soriano couldn't talk for a moment.

"Half of them put their lives out there to protect their county – their people. And we lost them. The rest followed me to the end. Eventually, most of them died... some are still alive, trying to survive in the city." Michelle waited for him to continue.

"Did Brook tell you about his father?" Soriano asked. Michelle nodded.

"Then he must have told you that I'm not willing to let anyone else do the same thing that he did."

"He... did give that impression."

"He's like his father. And that's what worries me. I can't lose him too. I made a promise to protect all those kids." Michelle nodded.

"You gotta know how we work. We're built on loyalty and a bond only death can break. We have each other's backs. We'll do whatever it takes to protect each other. But we also won't let ourselves make the same mistake..." He sighed.

"I understand sir. I won't let you or anyone else down." Michelle said with a steely resolution.

"I know. I can see it in your eyes. You remind me of one of my fiercest men... Anyway, that's not what I'm worried about."

"Then-?"

"This isn't the kind of life for a headstrong young college girl."

"How do you know -"

"I make it a point to know so I can be prepared. And Seynote's University is too near to hide from the Inferno Ghosts. If they think of taking over the towns there... But now you're smack in the middle of our fight. And you want to stay." It wasn't a question.

"Yes sir. I'll fight with you all the way."

"Then I'll only leave you with this warning: do NOT get killed." Michelle swallowed a lump in her throat.

"Yes sir." Soriano visibly relaxed after that.

"I can see you're smart. Now relax. And lose the 'sir' business. I was a policeman, not a general. You can call me Chief."