Chapter 15 In the Eye of the Storm

"Who are they? What do they want?" Michelle whispered to Payton

"Not the time for questions, Michelle," Payton replied in a hard voice. The men began to close in. Payton saw there were six men in all. He pulled Michelle behind him, ready to pounce if needed.

"Oh no... the others!" Michelle gasped looking around.

"You're outnumbered. Better give up while you can." One of the men said to Payton.

"Look again, jerk," Paige said, appearing from behind. Everyone else also appeared, poised to fight. Michelle gulped.

"Get her out, Payton," Brook said. Payton nodded.

"Now!" he shouted suddenly and pulled Michelle down. The men erupted in a fight with the Night Blazers, throwing well-aimed punches and kicks. But the crew dodged them and tripped them up more often than they took hits.

"Come on, we have to go!" Payton said, pulling Michelle out of the door. Michelle glanced back and saw Brook take a hit in the stomach.

"Brook!" she cried out.

"They can take care of themselves. You can't." Payton said, pulling her to his car. A man suddenly appeared and punched Payton in the face. Michelle screamed as she saw him stagger to his knees.

"You're not getting away again." The man said, stepping forward to Michelle. Payton gave him a leg sweep bringing him to the ground.

"Get in the car!" he yelled to Michelle. She quickly got in the passenger seat, her fingers trembling as she tried to put on her seatbelt. Outside she saw Payton kick the man to the ground with force. Then he rushed to the driver's seat and got in.

"What about the others?" Michelle asked, her voice high with fear.

"My job is to get you to safety; they're after you!" Payton yelled, nodding toward the man in front of the car. Payton turned on the ignition and reversed so fast that Michelle didn't have time to blink. The car roared as Payton hit the gas and rode out of the town onto the open road. Michelle glanced back and saw the men come out of the supermarket.

"They're coming after us!" she said as the men got into cars and drove after them.

"Not while I'm driving," Payton said. He sped up putting more distance between them and the men. Brook's voice spoke through the radio.

"Is Michelle safe? Where are you?" he asked loudly.

"Brook! I'm fine. What about you and everybody else?" Michelle answered before Payton.

"We're chasing the men. What's your position?"

"We're heading south, they're on our tail," Payton said.

"We'll head them off! Don't go to the base until you lose them!" Paige said.

"You can't head them all off!" Payton shouted back. "We can lose them in the Asphyxator."