Chapter 33 Waking Moments

Two hours later the nurses wheeled Brook out on a stretcher

Two hours later the nurses wheeled Brook out on a stretcher. Michelle hurried to his side.

"Is he okay?" She asked the first doctor she could see. The doctor looked her over before answering.

"His surgery went well. There was no major damage to his organs and we were able to get the bullet out. He has been sedated so he can recover more quickly so he might not wake up for a few hours." The doctor said. Michelle felt a weight drop from her heart. Brook was alive – and he would recover. It was like waking up from a nightmare.

"Thank – thank you," she said and followed Brook to a patient room.

"Are you the patient's guardian?" a pleasant-faced nurse asked Michelle in the room.

"Y-Yes." She stammered.

"You need to register the patient and pay at the reception. Would you like to register now?"

"Um, I'll do it later, please." She said, glancing at Brook. The nurse nodded.

"I understand. Could you give me the patient's name?"

"Er, Steve Rhodes," Michelle said, the first name popping into her head. She was afraid the police might be able to track 'Brook Havens'. Or worse, the Inferno Ghosts might come looking for him.

"And your name?" the nurse asked, writing it down.

"M-Mandy Rhodes." She lied.

"Okay... come to the reception on the first floor for the billing." She said and left. Michelle turned to Brook when she was left alone in the room.

"You are in so much trouble when you wake up." She said quietly. She remembered her blood-stained hands and shirt and went into the bathroom attached to the room to wash them off. Her eyes pricked with tears but she fought them determined not to cry. She couldn't break down now.

She couldn't stop thinking about everything that happened – and what might have happened if things had gone differently. If Brook hadn't survived...

She shook her head at that thought and remembered that she had ditched the crew. She had to contact them somehow – let them know where she was. Now that Brook was out of danger they had to know they were safe.

She returned to the room where Brook was sleeping peacefully. She was just debating how to contact the others when the door burst open admitting Payton. He was panting heavily and his forehead was wet with perspiration.

"Payton! How did you find us?" Michelle asked in surprise. Payton shut the door behind him and closed the blinds on the window. He glanced at Brook.

"How is he?" he asked.

"He'll be okay. He's just sedated so he can heal up faster." She said.

"You sure didn't make it easy for me to find you. I found you because he's the only patient who got shot around here. Seriously, Steve Rhodes?"