Chapter 38 One Year Later

The girl with the car

The girl with the car. Or rather, the ultra-cool hypercar. That was Michelle's nickname ever since she got back to college from her road trip. Of course, the initial reaction from her friends was far more ludicrous. When she had walked into her dorm two days before college officially commenced, their jaws literally dropped. After they got over her new appearance, they hugged her death and chewed her out for not texting them even once in practically two months or even checking the forty-six messages they sent her. They got her postcards at least, although they were surprised to know she had been to Vegas. Michelle didn't have the spirit to tell her friends everything that happened yet so she left it for a later date and flopped onto the bed for some much-needed sleep.

That was more than nine months ago. Since then Michelle had told her friends more or less what had happened over the summer. Leah and Brynn declared that Michelle had the craziest vacation ever and didn't quite believe it all. They were especially shocked by the fact that Michelle actually drank and got drunk on her birthday. Michelle couldn't help smiling at their reactions. But as she narrated the events, she found herself missing the crew, the feeling of the adrenaline during an escapade, and the thrill of driving. But more than anything, she missed one person with all her heart. And she tried hard not to think about him. Because if she did, she knew she would break down into pieces. And she couldn't afford that. She had to stay strong for him.

But he slipped into her thoughts more than she could handle and most of the time she withdrew from her daily life to read her diary. It was the only way she felt she could stay connected to him – before he faded from her memory. Although she knew it would never come to that.

Two months after returning home Paige had visited her. The crew was back in Reno and was at the old base. Brook was still in custody but like Jackson, he was moved to Reno because of jurisdiction issues. Soriano was trying everything he could to get Brook out and Paige reassured Michelle that she shouldn't give up hope. She also told her that Brook asked about her and misses her. Michelle swallowed at that and told her to tell him she was waiting for him. Paige promised she would.

Since then Michelle hadn't heard from any of the crew. She waited each month for some news but there was nothing. She scanned the news unsure what she was looking for but found nothing. The only unusual piece of news that startled her was an obituary declaring the death of Sergeant Justus Kromer, the leader of the Inferno Ghosts from the nineties. Michelle wondered how Brook would react to that and if he even knew. She wished she could be with him at that moment.

"Hey, Michelle? We're going to shop for grad party dresses and then we're gonna chill in Freda's Ice Monkey. You coming?" Leah called through the door of her room.

"No it's okay, you guys go ahead," Michelle said.

"But we haven't gone shopping together in ages," Brynn said coming into the room.

"I'm not really feeling like it. You guys go on without me." She insisted. Brynn and Leah exchanged looks.

"Michelle, are you sure you're okay? You've been kind of down lately." Brynn said. "Is it because of him?" Leah nudged her.