Chapter 6 Secrets

"Where are we going?" Michelle asked as Paige led her through the cave entrance

"You'll see," Paige said without trouble. They walked through the dark cave for a few steps when suddenly Paige turned right, facing a blank wall.

"Um..." Michelle began. Paige ignored her and bent down to some rocks. Michelle could barely see what she was doing in the dark. Suddenly there was a grinding noise and the wall slid to one side, revealing a cave opening, large enough for two cars to go through together. It was much larger than the cave leading out into the desert.

"There's a lever in the rocks here and another one in the wall a few meters inside. You can use it to open and close the wall." Paige said.

"Okay, but why are you showing me this?" Michelle asked in confusion.

"You looked bored. I figured you needed a bit of excitement. And I know Soriano's keeping you trapped in there for your protection. If it were me, I would've lost my mind. I actually did, the first time I came here. That's when I wandered around and found this cave. It's a good place to hide or take a walk alone."

"Okay..." Michelle still didn't understand what Paige intended. Paige turned to her in exasperation.

"You wanna stretch your legs or not? This is the only way you can go for a long walk without leaving the base. This cave ends somewhere within the base so you'll be safe."

"Um, thank you, but why are you doing this for me?" Paige threw her head back and scoffed.

"Pft, I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing this for me. The less I see your sorry face the better." Paige was about to walk away when she stopped.

"I almost forgot." She took out a remote from her jacket pocket and pressed a button. Immediately white spotlights that dotted the cave's ceiling every dozen meters came on.

"There are lights in the other cave too but not all of them work. You're not afraid of the dark, are you?" Paige asked with a wicked grin.

"Not at all." Michelle retorted. Paige smirked.

"Good. Have fun on your own. Take your time. REALLY." She said.

"Paige?" Michelle called. She turned to Michelle.

"Thanks," Michelle said.

"Whatever," Paige said and walked back up to the base. Michelle turned to the cave opening and walked through them. This was just what she'd been craving – a nice long undisturbed walk to sort through her thoughts.

The silence of the cave almost echoed off the walls creating a hollow sound; it was like listening to the inside of a seashell. Michelle closed her eyes letting the stillness play in her brain. It stimulated her. She felt the beginning of a new tune in her head and thought about how it should play out. She was so focused on her tune that she hadn't noticed how far deep into the cave she had gone. Or that the lights weren't working and she walked in darkness. It wasn't until she heard a small clinking sound did she realize her surroundings. She looked around, wondering where the sound came from. There was no one but her. A slight shiver of fear crept up her spine.