Chapter 32 Sacrifice

"You know what your problem is? You people don't know when to give up and run

"You know what your problem is? You people don't know when to give up and run." Jackson said. "Now here's what you're gonna do. Michelle, you're gonna walk this way, slowly, hands where I can see them. The rest of you, get on your knees if you don't want to be shot." Michelle took a deep breath.

"Do it. Don't be afraid. Get close and wait for the right moment to strike." Paige said in her ear. Michelle gave her an imperceptible nod and started to walk forward, her eyes darting from Jackson to the car in which Brook was.

"That's it, nice and slow and no one gets hurt - yet," Jackson said silkily. Michelle stopped three feet in front of him.

"What do you want?" she asked him in a low voice.

"Oh, I have what I want. You and Havens are my greatest prizes of war. After all, why shouldn't the children pay for the sins of their fathers?" Michelle's brows furrowed in confusion.

"What does that have to do with me? Ripley Havens is the one who destroyed the Inferno Ghosts." Jackson blinked as though genuinely surprised.

"You really have no idea? Now I feel bad." He said with a smirk. He began to circle her like a hawk.

"Havens and Patterson. The two cursed names my father chanted with every breath he could take since he survived." Jackson's features hardened. "And I believe you made a mistake. The Inferno Ghosts are very much alive as you can see. No one can destroy them. Even if you do try, we will rise from the ashes, a new generation more powerful and intimidating than the first."

"You talk too much," Michelle said, glaring at him.

"Why not talk? We have all the time in the world. And when I finish talking, your friends won't be alive. So it really is in your best interest for me to keep talking."

"You're sick." She flared in a rage. Her fists were clenched tight and she badly wanted to smack that smug smirk off his face.

"Now, now. Do not judge and you will not be judged." Jackson said with a silky laugh. "If you want to know your role in all this, you will behave." Michelle bit her tongue and let him continue.

"Why do you think I was after you all these weeks? Because you were 'the one who got away'? Ha. Hilarious. True, I have never lost a prey while hunting it in the desert before. But when I found your ID card in your car..." he laughed, the eerie sound sending chills up Michelle's spine.

"I had no idea you were so close. All this time I could have taken you without all this trouble... Havens was harder to get. Until he gave himself up, of course, to save his precious crew. Or should I say, his precious girlfriend. Until then, in that damn Bugatti of his, he was a real thorn in my flesh."

"Good to know." Michelle gloated. "But I still don't see what this has to do with me."

"Dear Michelle, haven't you figured it out yet? If I knew you existed before that night in the desert – you would have been dead a long time ago."