Chapter 3 Meet the Crew

Michelle didn't know how long she slept but she knew it wasn't very long

Michelle didn't know how long she slept but she knew it wasn't very long. Two things woke her; one was her stomach rumbling, reminding her that it had been hours since she had eaten anything – the chocolate bar and soda hardly made up for dinner. The second was the flurry of raised voices. Michelle opened her eyes, noticing immediately that the room was dimmer than before. The overhead bulb was off and only the bulbs further away gave out light. Michelle slowly raised her head and looked towards the lighted area. A small group of people stood there, obviously arguing over something. Michelle's head ached but she ignored it. It was time to get some answers.

Languidly she put her legs down hoping they were less pathetic now that she had rested. She stood up and walked towards the group of people. Brook was there, and Jett and a few new people, each shouting with language Michelle would never hear in her friends' company.

"You should've called Soriano! You are not supposed to handle them by yourself!" A woman with black hair and cyan streaks shouted. She wore a lot of black – black jacket and pants except for a red leather blouse inside.

"There wasn't time! And I don't need your permission to do my job!" Brook shouted back with folded arms.

"We almost got blown up back there! How do you think they found grenades?!" a young man with black hair raged. He also wore a black jacket and acid-wash jeans. Michelle thought he looked fierce.

"That's not my fault!" Brook shouted, stepping forward.

"If you're gonna do something stupid, don't leave it to us to clean up your mess!" the woman with black hair shouted back.

"Guys! Calm down. This is getting us nowhere!" a tall woman with short dirt blonde hair said, raising her hands to get attention. She was more casually dressed in a denim skirt and tank tee.

"Yeah! What's done is done. We'll just make the best of it." Jett said.

"How?! You're not the one who has to go fetch new parts every time something breaks down!" a man with blue-streaked hair shouted.

"How did they find her anyway? They've been quiet for weeks!" Paige asked. Michelle thought her voice was too harsh for a woman.

"Her overhead light had been on. I noticed the switch flipped. It's a given they would've noticed it even from a distance. She might've had the radio on as well. She was an easy target." Brook said.

"What is she, a runaway minor?" Paige asked with contempt.

"She's definitely new around here. But that's not the biggest problem." Jett said, rubbing his chin.

Michelle looked confused. Were they talking about - her? She rubbed her temples and came up to the group.

"Um pardon me..." she began. She looked at Brook whose face relaxed when he saw Michelle.

"You're awake." He didn't know what else to say. Everyone stopped and stared at her.

"Hello. How you feeling, kid?" the woman with dirt blonde hair asked her.