Chapter 8 His middle name's 'Trouble'

"Brook

"Brook... we should..." Michelle didn't want to say go back but her worry about him getting in trouble kept overriding her bliss in his arms.

"Hmm... later." He said. Suddenly she felt him stiffen and looked up. His jaw was locked and his eyes were hard as he gazed out into the desert.

"What's wrong?" Michelle asked. Soon she heard the same sound that got his attention – the rumble of car wheels. His grip tightened on her arm.

"It's them. They're patrolling. We have to go." He pulled her to the edge of the rock and helped her climb down.

"Who? Who's patrolling?" Michelle asked as they got in the car. He ignored her question as he quickly put on his seatbelt. She sensed his hurry and pulled on her own seatbelt. He had already started the car before it even clicked in place.

"Hang on!" he said. He pushed the gear shift to reverse and backed out in less than a millisecond. The next moment, he shifted the gear to drive and the car roared forward onto the open road. Michelle was awed at how fast he did that.

"Brook, what's going on?" she asked as he sped on. She saw the speedometer hit a hundred and forty within seconds.

"I have to get you away from here... they can't find out..." Brook muttered half to himself. Michelle tightened her grip as he made a sharp turn left. Suddenly she saw lights from behind and turned around.

"Oh no, is that-?" a look of panic crossed her features. Brook glanced at his rear-view mirror and swore.

"Dammit! How did they find us?" Michelle winced.

"Is it them? Those men who chased me?" she asked.

"Yes and I'm not gonna let them get us so hang on!" Brook said fiercely. He weaved the car left and right trying to shake them off.

"How do we lose them?" Michelle asked.

"There are two ways – we call for backup, create a diversion, and hope to lose them eventually or -"

"Or?" Michelle asked when he paused. He flashed a quick glance at her.

"We do something risky." He said with foreboding. Michelle swallowed.

"Do it." She said.

" She said