Chapter 18 Confessions

The sounds of familiar voices arguing came to Michelle's ears but she was too tired to open her eyes and dismissed it as a dream

The sounds of familiar voices arguing came to Michelle's ears but she was too tired to open her eyes and dismissed it as a dream. She grunted in her sleep wishing it would stop. Didn't her dream know she barely got five hours' sleep?

She felt something cover her ear and the sounds got muffled. Thankful for whatever it was, she drifted back to sleep.

The next thing Michelle heard was the muffled sounds of slowly driven cars through traffic and the low steady rhythm of someone breathing close to her. She was too comfortable and warm in her sleep, wherever she was to wake up but curiosity about who was next to her and a rumble in her stomach made her open her eyes. Brook's features come into focus, hovering over her.

"Brook! Am I still dreaming?" she asked, looking confused. He grinned softly, his teeth shining white in the dimness.

"No, you're awake and hungry by the sound of your stomach." He said. Michelle's eyes widened at the realization that he was real and she flung her arms around his neck.

"Brook! Oh Brook you're okay! I'm so, so glad! I missed you! Are you hurt? Where are the others? Is everyone..." she hesitated unsure if she wanted to hear any bad news. But his expression was calm and relaxed so her worry dissolved as quickly as it came.

"Everyone's fine, they're downstairs. Michelle... you have no idea how scared I was for you. How relieved I am to see you safe..." Brook's voice was low and husky. Michelle felt him run his fingers through her hair.

"Um, Brook? Where are we?" she asked, looking around at her unfamiliar surroundings. She also got a jolt when she realized she was in bed with Brook right next to her.

"In Vegas of course. Don't you remember?"

"No, I mean – I remember falling asleep in Payton's car, and then I heard voices and – how did I get here?" Brook merely let his lips brush against her forehead, sending shivers up her spine.

"You're cute when you're confused. Payton brought you here a few hours ago. You were fast asleep in the car so I brought you up to my room. I thought you'd wake with the crew yapping at the top of their voices so I covered your ears." Michelle felt a warm glow spread through her at his words.

"You were so sound asleep that Paige called you a baby. But I like you when you're asleep. We can stay together without any interruptions." His voice was low and husky. Michelle knew her heartbeat had passed the erratic stage and her face felt hot.

"What time is it? I don't know how long I slept." She said trying to steer the conversation away from topics that would make her blush.

"Past midnight. You haven't been asleep for more than a few hours." Brook said. He wrapped his arms around her, drawing her to his chest.

"Um... Brook..." Michelle began, the proximity making her hold her breath.

"One more minute. Let's stay like this for one more minute." He whispered. Michelle exhaled and burrowed her head into his chest listening to his heartbeat. She had never been this close to anyone before. It was a warm and desirable feeling, sharing it with Brook. She was glad it was him; that he'd been the one to open her heart. Whether this was a dream or a dream come true, Michelle didn't want to question it. All she knew was that she was glad to be there in Brook's arms and that he wanted her there.