Chapter 24 Birthday Girl

The night before Saturday, Michelle found herself second-guessing her decision

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

The night before Saturday, Michelle found herself second-guessing her decision. On one hand, she wanted to go to the club for the first time on her birthday and party with the crew. On the other hand, with the guilt-inducing looks she'd been getting from Payton for the last few days, she felt her anger bubble up every time she thought of going out. Payton made her feel like she was putting herself in danger by going to the club. And that she didn't care about what he had said that day. He hadn't even spoken to her and had given her the cold shoulder since then.

She was sitting on the couch writing some music when she felt like she was being watched. She looked up. Yep, there he was. Payton was standing by the dining table, watching her with an 'are you seriously not gonna listen to me' expression on his face. She scowled at him and turned back to her writing.

"What did that piece of paper ever do to you?" Brook asked, joining her on the couch.

"Huh?" Michelle looked at him blankly.

"You were glaring daggers at that paper. What's wrong? Can't get a tune to stick?" she heard Payton put down a glass noisily on the table and walk away.

"No, it's not that," she said, trying to ignore Payton. Brook pulled the book away from her lap and put it on the table. He took her hand and massaged circles below her thumb.

"You've been stressed these last few days. Want to talk about it?" He asked. She gazed into his mesmerizing blue eyes and saw something that made her forget what she was annoyed about.

"Shouldn't I be the one to ask you that?" She asked, leaning into him. She listened to the steady rhythm of his breathing and felt more relaxed.

"Don't you worry about me, Michelle. And about our mission that day – I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't mean to scare you." Michelle remembered what he said about wanting to go after Jackson.

"It's okay. I understand. I suppose, in your place, I'd want the same."

"But you wouldn't leave me, would you Michelle?" Brook asked. His tone made her look up.

"No," she replied softly. He nuzzled into her hair.

"Sometimes I wish I could forget everything and just be a normal guy crazy in love with his girlfriend," he said.

"You are a normal guy to me. Wild car stunts aside." Michelle said with a giggle. She heard him grin into her hair.

"And I'm sorry I scared the living daylights out of you with that bike ride." Michelle laughed.

"It was scary, I'll admit. But it was also the funnest adventure of my life. Escaping with you always is – and it's something I'd relive again." Brook pulled away to look at her in surprise.

"You want to jump off a building on a bike again?" he asked.

"Well no, but if it's with you... I'd jump off a dozen buildings or cliffs on a bike. Or in a car." He blinked at her.