Chapter 20 Blueprint for Grand Theft

Everyone turned and saw a bruised and limping Soriano leaning on Leslie walk in

Everyone turned and saw a bruised and limping Soriano leaning on Leslie walk in. At first, nobody could move. Then Brook came to his senses and spoke.

"Chief!" Brook yelled and shot out of the couch towards him. He helped him sit down.

"Chief, what happened? Where were you?!" Brook asked, sounding hysterical.

"Calm down kiddo. Let him catch his breath." Leslie said. "I found him at Twenty-Third's looking like this."

"Gee Chief, if you want to scare us just jump out the window," Paige said, folding her hands. Michelle noticed her fists were clenched.

"What happened?" Payton asked in a deadly calm voice.

"People, the guy's obviously had a rough time. First things first – get him an ice pack! We can't have our boss looking like he got whipped!" Reece said. Michelle jumped up to get it.

"Here," she said, bringing Soriano the ice pack. He held it to his face.

"Thanks, Michelle, for being the only one not to ask questions." He said. His voice was hoarser than usual.

"Hey! I didn't ask questions either." Reece pointed out. Soriano attempted to smile.

"I'm glad you guys are all safe. I thought you'd be at the base though. What are you all doing here?" he asked.

"I don't think you get to ask the questions," Brook said through gritted teeth.

"Brook," Michelle said with a tiny shake of her head.

"We had a bit of a run-in with the Ghosts on Sunday," Leslie explained. "We led them away from the base and lost them on the way to Vegas. Payton and Michelle had to make a break for the base so they wouldn't get caught. They flew here yesterday. Then today we all split up and went to look for you."

"Wow, that's pretty much summed up," Jett said.

"Where were you for the last three days?" Brook asked Soriano. He looked up at Brook's furious face.

"I ran into Jackson." He said. Everybody went dead silent.

"Jackson? The son of the –" Soriano spat out the name "Sergeant."

"You let him catch you?! How could you do something so stupid?!" Brook shouted. "He could've killed you!"

"Brook, please calm down," Michelle said, tugging his arm. He turned and saw her face and covered his face with his hand. He took a deep breath and glared at Soriano.

"I – I'll be in my room." He said walking away. Michelle made to follow him but Paige stopped her.

"Not now. He needs a moment to himself." She said.

"Paige right. I understand how he feels. I'd feel the same in his shoes. Let him cool off." Soriano said.

"So what happened Chief? And how did you escape him?" Jett asked.