Chapter 34 Blood Will Remember

Hours later, after the nurse had finished her rounds, Brook and Michelle lay side by side on the patient's bed

Hours later, after the nurse had finished her rounds, Brook and Michelle lay side by side on the patient's bed. Brook had insisted she lies down next to him and refused to go back to sleep unless she complied. Of course, with her next to him, all sleep had fled and he only regretted that his arm was held down by the IV needle so that he could not hold her closer.

"I take it the others are okay?" Brook asked.

"Yes... they got away safely. Payton and Paige are on guard outside. Oh, I should let them know you're awake." Michelle half got up but Brook pulled her down with his free arm.

"Not yet. I want to be alone with you for a little while more." Michelle lay back down resting her chin on his shoulder. She gazed at his face from the side.

"What are you thinking?" he asked.

"Whether you're planning to run away again the moment I fall asleep." She replied. "I'm also wondering where I could get a pair of handcuffs..." Brook grinned softly.

"You don't need handcuffs, Michelle. You've already got me as a prisoner in your heart."

"Don't start with the cheesy lines, Brook; I'm still mad at you," Michelle said, turning her eyes to his chest. Brook listened to her steady breathing and knew she was fuming.

"Michelle..." he called softly.

"Revenge isn't gonna solve anything you know. Do you really think we'd be able to live a better life if you just – took Jackson down? Do you think you'll feel better?" Michelle asked.

"I didn't do it to feel better, Michelle. You know that. There's nothing I want more than to live a normal life with you – be in a normal relationship with you where the only crisis in our lives is finding out all the best restaurants are fully booked for our date night." Michelle smiled wistfully at the thought.

"Then we'd eat at home – between you and me I'm sure we could whip up a fancy sandwich dinner for two." She said. Brook grinned, but it faded quickly.

"But you know that's not possible the way things are." He said. "We'd never be free of Jackson unless he was..."

"Taken down for good?" Michelle finished for him.

"It's the only way."

"And if you became a murderer, do you still think we could live a life together?" Her voice was so full of pain he looked down at her face and saw she was crying silently. He wiped a tear off her cheek with his thumb.

"I don't know what else to do Michelle."

"You're not doing it for us Brook. That much I know. You want to do it for revenge. I don't think even your dad would want that."

"How do you know what my dad would've wanted? He sacrificed his life trying to take down the Inferno Ghosts!"

"And you and your mom suffered for it. Do you think your dad would've wanted you to have blood on your hands?" Brook remained silent.