Chapter 10 Warm Welcome

Brook frowned at her.

"What?" He asked as if he didn't hear her.

"I said I'm gonna help. I'm in. I have a stake in this too. They attacked me and burned my car. Now they're after me. I want to get them before they get me." Brook slid her legs off his lap and stood up.

"Not gonna happen. You're not getting involved in this war Michelle. It's too dangerous. I told you what happened to my dad. I – I won't let that happen again."

"I'm already involved, Brook," Michelle said standing up in front of him. "I can't go back home without being hunted by the Inferno Ghosts. I'm guessing they burned my car as a sign that they're after me. Which means they won't stop till they get me – or we get them." Brook stared hard at her.

"I can't change your mind, can I?" he asked resignedly. Michelle shook her head and slipped her hand into his.

"Not by a long shot." He half-smiled.

"You're a tough girl, you know that? You're not as fragile as you look."

"I get that a lot," Michelle said, smiling back. Brook pulled her into a hug.

"Promise me one thing. If things go bad, promise me you'll run – get out of here. even if it means leaving me behind." Michelle clenched her teeth at his words and clung harder to his shoulders.

"No matter what happens, we're gonna see this through together. I'll never leave you." She said fiercely. Brook sighed.

"I seriously underestimated you. I'm not gonna make that mistake again." He said. Michelle pulled back in his arms just far enough to face him.

"Good. Now please tell me there's ice cream in the fridge. All this midnight chat has made me hungry – that and the fact that I skipped dinner." Brook laughed.

"Chocolate or pistachio?" he asked.

"Both," Michelle said, winking. Brook got out two tubs of ice cream from the mini fridge and spoons from the kitchen. they curled up on the couch in the base.

"Bon appetit." He said as they dug in.

"Hmm. I missed this." Michelle said.

"You could've asked for it earlier." Brook teased.

"I was –"

"Too busy ignoring me?" Brook finished for her. Michelle grinned sheepishly.

"Sorry about that." Brook frowned suddenly.

"Why did it look like you were gonna cry earlier?" he asked. His question caught her off-guard.

"Earlier – Oh. That."

"Well?"

"I was pretty guilty about everything you know. And you got hurt because of me... and Payton gave me a cold hard knock into reality. You should have heard him. No wait, it's better you didn't. But everything he said was true." Brook's fingers balled into a fist.

"I'm gonna rip that guy's mouth off in the morning." Michelle laid a hand on his balled fist.

"No Brook. I needed that. Besides, he just ignited something in me. Without his little truth talk, I wouldn't have realized how much I owe you guys." Her eyes glinted in the darkness.

"Remind me not to cross you," Brook said.

"Don't worry. The only guys who are gonna get it from me are the Inferno Ghosts."