Chapter 16 Hot Pursuit

Michelle stared at him like she didn't understand

"We what? You want to drive all the way to Vegas?"

"To Reno. It has the closest airport. We'll drive there."

"Airport? You're serious?"

"Keep up, Michelle. Yes, we have to fly to Vegas. There's another headquarters there."

"Why not drive there?"

"Because my Hennessey Venom is rare enough to get pulled over by every cop who sees it. And did you forget about the Inferno Ghosts? We can't drive alone for seven hours to Vegas. That's the stupidest and most dangerous thing to do. It's quicker and safer to fly there."

"Did the others drive there? They can't have left their cars behind to fly to Vegas."

"Together they're less vulnerable even though they would have attracted a lot of attention. Forgot about that. We have to see about getting to Vegas ourselves. Do you have a passport?"

"Yes."

"Then we leave before sunrise. The Ghosts will be patrolling the desert all night. We can make it to the airport and avoid them if we time it right."

"What about booking a flight?"

"I'll take care of that. You start packing. Take whatever you need but not too heavy. I don't know when we'll return."

"O-Okay." Payton heard the tremor in her voice.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. We'll make it out of here." He said, squeezing her shoulder. Michelle nodded bravely.

"I'll go pack. Let me know any other details."

"I will."

It was past eleven when Michelle finished packing and snacking on an orange (she wasn't hungry for anything else)

It was past eleven when Michelle finished packing and snacking on an orange (she wasn't hungry for anything else). She packed her bag and her cross-body pouch which she would carry with her. She made sure her passport was in there before deciding she was done. She checked her wallet – she had a little over a hundred dollars in it. She rummaged through it for her ID card but could not find it.