Chapter 37 Is this Goodbye?

"Guys, we have a problem

"Guys, we have a problem." Reece's voice sent a wave of alertness through the crew. They were in the living room of the apartment getting ready to go back to Reno when Reece burst through the front door.

"The police are looking for 'Steven and Mandy Rhodes' as witnesses for the Inferno Ghosts case. They know that Steven Rhodes was shot by Jackson and thanks to the hospital records, they tracked him and put a subpoena on him." Reece continued.

"Who the heck is Steven Rhodes?" Paige asked. Michelle bit her lip.

"It's the fake name I used when I got Brook to the hospital." She said.

"And you're Mandy Rhodes... figures," Paige said, rolling her eyes.

"But they don't know that it's Brook. They may never find 'Steven Rhodes'. What's the problem?" Payton asked.

"Jackson is. He enlightened the police that Steven Rhodes is none other than Brook Havens, the guy he shot at and I quote, 'couldn't kill'. He's also dragged Michelle's name into the mess saying she's the girl who drove the Koenigsegg to the scrap yard and she's with the car thieves who stole it in the first place."

"Like hell she did! That wretch doesn't know when to shut up!" Paige said hotly. "I drove that damn car out of the Black Boulder and if I have to prove it I will!"

"No, we can't act rashly. Reece, why didn't the police convict Jackson for the theft?" Soriano asked.

"Because there were two cars at the scrap yard and Jackson's prints were found only on one of them. And it wasn't the Koenigsegg." Reece said.

"So I'm wanted for grand auto theft?" Michelle asked, going pale. Brook came and took her hands in his.

"No, I won't let Jackson do this to you! There has to be a way we can get her name cleared." He said.

"The police must be looking for her as well. If they find her in Vegas, they can arrest her on suspicion." Leslie said.

"Then we get her away from here," Payton said in a hard voice. "If she's not found anywhere in Vegas, the police won't be able to pin it on her and Jackson doesn't have any proof that it was her who drove the car."

"What about Brook? They're still looking for a gunshot witness." Reece said.

"But if Brook goes forward, they'll arrest him too!" Michelle said. "That can't happen!"

"Michelle..." Brook said softly. She turned to him with anxiety in her eyes.

"I have to go." He said. Michelle shook her head vigorously.

"No, there has to be some way out of this! Why should you go? You'll only get arrested!" she said in a high pitch.

"Because I'm the only one who can convince the police that you weren't there. I can protect your name from being dragged further into this."