Chapter 36 Showdown

The headlights of a car opposite Michelle came on, blinding her

The headlights of a car opposite Michelle came on, blinding her. The silhouette of a man in front of the headlights was all she could see.

"I see you brought my toy back. Delightful." Jackson's voice dripped with smugness.

"Like you asked," Michelle said, trying to see past the lights. Jackson stepped forward and Michelle thought that scene looked vaguely familiar. Then it struck her.

"It was you... you chased us that night in the desert!" She said in recognition.

"Indeed, can you imagine how I felt when I saw Havens and you in that car just a few feet in front of me? I was so close to my prey... Unfortunately, you got away. No matter, now Havens is dead and you are in my power." Jackson laughed. "You really are naïve coming here alone. Of course, now that your boyfriend is dead, you must not have had anyone else to bring along."

"Quit stalling. I have some questions for you." Michelle said, clenching her fists.

"Really? Do you want to know about your past? Your father?"

"Yes." Jackson took a few steps from left to right in silence. He pulled something out of his pocket and held it up. Michelle gasped when she saw it was her ID card.

"I suspected as much," Jackson said darkly. "Patterson... Patterson... the cursed name and the bane of my father's existence..." he took out a lighter and set the card on fire. He then threw it to the ground where it slowly smoldered to ashes. Michelle watched, a little fear creeping into her. It was like he was giving her an example of what he would do to her...

"First, give me the phone. I can't have your friends tracking you through it." Michelle glared at him but threw the phone in front of him.

"There. Now talk." Jackson smiled sardonically. He picked up the phone and took out the sim card. He threw it to the ground and stamped it to bits.

"You seem too confident. Is that because you just lost your boyfriend? Or because you thought I'd fall for your trap?" Michelle's eyes widened slightly but she maintained her stance.

"I don't know what you're talking about, I did everything you asked!" She said. Jackson came closer until he was a foot away from her.

"Dead people have no fear of their fingerprints being found on a stolen car," he said, eyeing her gloves.

"I – I drive better with gloves." Michelle tried to cover up.

"Is that so? Do you also drive better with a bulletproof vest?" he suddenly grabbed her jacket and ripped it apart. Michelle screamed but it was too late. The jacket came off in two pieces in Jackson's hands, Michelle's bulletproof vest exposed.

"Smart Patterson, but not smart enough. You can't fool me." Michelle backed away from him.

"There's nowhere for you to run, nowhere to hide. My men are already scouring the area for your friends." Jackson said.