Chapter 13 Road Trip

Michelle walked to the kitchen carrying the tray of glasses in a daze

Michelle walked to the kitchen carrying the tray of glasses in a daze. She couldn't stop thinking about Brook. What was he doing to her? When she was in his arms it was like he controlled her. She forgot everything. She was powerless... and she didn't want it to stop.

"What are you doing, still up?" Michelle broke out of her reverie to see Payton standing in the kitchen washing the dishes as he spoke.

"Er, I brought the glasses." She said laying down the tray.

"Go to bed. I'll wash them," he said.

"You?"

"Yeah, me. You got a problem with that?"

"No, it's just that I didn't think you were the kind of guy to clean up after everyone. Especially not by doing the dishes."

"You don't know me," he said briskly. Michelle hesitated for a second before going over to him.

"Move over, I'm helping," she said.

"I don't need your help." He said, pulling a plate away from her. She took another one from the pile.

"I know. But I don't want to look like a freeloader." Payton gave a half smile.

"Nice to see you have some integrity."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, since you're staying here and making trouble, you might as well make the most of it and do some work." Michelle decided not to get offended by that.

"Sure." She said in a collected tone.

"Sure? You're not annoyed?"

"Nope."

"Huh. Looks like I'll have to work harder to get under your skin." He said with a furtive look.

"And why do you want to do that? You could be nice to me, you know."

"Where's the fun in that?" He asked. Michelle's lips twitched.

"You know what Payton? I guess I had you all wrong."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked, echoing her.

"My first impression of you wasn't exactly on point. Seeing you now, I don't think you're as tough as you pretend to be."

"Looks can be deceiving. Look at you – you pretend to be all tough like you can handle yourself but we both know better. You're in way over your head, Sweetheart. So leave while you still can." Michelle stopped washing the dish when she saw Payton's eyes hard on her. The amusement from his voice had gone.

"I don't have a reason to leave – to go back to my life. But I do want to stay and help you guys. It's my choice. You're gonna have to get used to it."

"You have a life, friends, and family and you chose to give it all up to fight a war that has nothing to do with you?"

"You don't know me either, Payton." She said with a touch of melancholy in her voice. "I know you don't think I can handle this but I'm tougher than I look. You said it yourself. So stop underestimating me."