Chapter 17 In Vegas

Ten minutes later, Michelle stepped out of the bathroom wearing the clothes Payton bought

"Payton, this is ridiculous!" she hissed. She was dressed like a boy in ripped jeans and a graffiti tee and denim jacket, her hair rolled up in a baseball cap.

"You look convincing." He said.

"I look like a one-hit loser rock star!"

"How would you know what one of those look like?" Payton asked with a smirk. Michelle groaned.

"Why aren't you in costume?" He put on a pair of nerdy reading glasses and a cap.

"I am."

"No fair, you only had to put those on and I had to put –" she gestured to her clothes, "all these on?"

"You're more noticeable as a girl. Now stop complaining and walk." Payton said, casually draping his arm around her shoulder.

"We're not a couple, you don't have to stick this close," Michelle whispered.

"No, we're brothers who met each other after a long time and have a lot to catch up on. Play along." Michelle groaned but complied.

"Why couldn't I wear another outfit that wasn't guy's clothes?" Michelle asked.

"The other option was a pregnant woman. Think you could've kept that up until we reached Vegas?" Payton asked with raised eyebrows.

"A – no. I guess this is better."

"You can change on the flight. This outfit isn't as eye-catching as a pregnant woman would be."

"I feel like I'm in a Korean soap opera."

"Why?"

"There are a bunch of Korean soaps where girls dress up like guys for crazy reasons."

"Yeah well, this is a crazy enough reason. I'm keeping you alive in that outfit."

"How long do we have to walk around? We look like a couple of lost tourists."

"Just until they announce the boarding. Which should be right about – now." Payton said, checking his watch. Immediately the P.A. system announced the flight to Las Vegas was boarding.

"Smooth," Michelle said, impressed. Payton led her to the gate.

"We're first class so we can go first." He said handing over their boarding passes.

"You booked us first-class seats for a seventy-five-minute flight?" Michelle asked incredulously.

"It means we'll be safer sooner," Payton said, gazing over the crowd. "And just in time. The Ghosts are here." Michelle's eyes widened in fear.

"Play it cool." He warned her. They got their passes and walked down the hallway leading to the flight.

"Relax, they can't get us now. Airports don't let just anyone on the flight." Payton said.