Let Me Hold Her

Chapter Warning: Chapter contains possible trigger warning for depression and emotional

--- Ashe's Point of View ---

Connor and I ate in comfortable silence, simply enjoying one another's company as we ate our breakfast.

I had always felt safe with Connor, even when he we both were fighting in our past relationship, and yes I knew he was dangerous and manipulative but he cared about me and he was no threat to me or my daughter.

"Are you doing alright?"

I looked up at Connors brown eyes, he was giving me a worried look, a genuinely worried look, shit did I look that bad?

"Yeah I'm fine."

"You miss him don't you..."

There was no anger in his voice, but there was a bit of defeated sadness, I nodded looking down at the table, I didn't want to look up and see the sadness in his eyes.

"I won't keep you here, you can go back to him if you want to."

"I want to say here...I feel safe with you, and yes I do miss him but I don't want to go back and be under his thumb."

"You are safe with me."

I did want to stay with him, that was the truth, I wasn't ready to go back to Austin or even Salt Lake City, I was enjoying my time with my daughter and Connor.

(6 Hours Later)

I was carrying my daughter bouncing her as we walked down the sidewalk under the beautiful trees, the sun was setting, and the air was cooling down.

Connor had decided to take a nap and I said I was going to take Alice on a walk so we can both get some fresh hair.

"Ashe...Baby Girl?"

I froze in the middle of the sidewalk cold adrenaline pulsed though me and my fight of flight response activated, and I held Alice closer to my chest - slowly turning around I saw Austin standing behind me, about 3 yards away.

I gasped shocked at seeing his state.

He was skinner than I had ever seen him, the dark circles under his eyes were very pronounced and he looked so defeated and exhausted.

His blue eyes looked me over, and he slightly shook his head as tears came to his eyes, his eyes glanced down at our daughter.

"Oh Alice baby...p...please...please let me hold her..."

He stepped towards me, I held my ground but held her even tighter.

"You can't take her from me Austin!"

Me yelling that stopped him, he looked at me wide eyed and I could see that he was starting to tremble.

"I wouldn't take her from you...how could you think that...?"

"I don't know, but you have money and power and I'm not sure what you would do..."

He slowly stepped forward; tears were falling down his cheeks. I didn't know why but anger came up, a scary level of anger at seeing him.

"Has Conner brainwashed you, why do you see me as a monster now? I'm not going to take her, I miss you both...please Baby Girl I have missed you and her so much."

He reached out, our daughter saw him and instantly reached a handout to her father, I stepped back.

"I said don't touch her. Don't you have a son to get back to?"

"That isn't fair Ashelia...I love you and Alice, you two are my life, I have missed you both so much..."

I gasped at him using my full name, again Alice gave a little cry and reached out to him, he reached out as well.

"Please...I'll give her back..."

Reluctantly and simply because Alice was fighting a fussy to see her father, I gently handed her over to him, he hugged her close to him and dropped to his knees on the ground.

He cradled her pulling back a bit and kissed her tiny face cooing at her.