Chapter 1 Zerha and A Serpent

“Hahaha! Is this the one who beat you? Are you kidding me? She’s just a little girl! Hahaha!” The leader of the high school gang approached Zerha.

“Y-yes, it’s not just me. The others were beaten up by her, too.” The boy who has a lot of bruises answered.

The gang leader frowned. "Where are the others?”

“There,” The boy pointed to the students who were lying on the ground. After the leader saw
them, his face contorted with fear. “H-how?”

Zerha was about to leave when the gang leader called her.

“Wait! Would you like to join our gang?” He asked.

Zerha turned and looked directly at him. “Why would I join such a lame group?” She responded with a question of her own.

“W-what? L-lame?” The leader suddenly looked annoyed. Zerha remained silent as she merely stared at him with a bored expression, as if she didn’t care that he was angry.

“Looks like you want to get hurt. Boys, get her!” The leader shouted at other gang members, and they all made a move to attack Zerha.

Zerha sighed and murmured, “Looks like I don’t have a choice.” Then she started to fight.

The gang leader received a sudden call. When he hung up, he shifted his attention back to his
members and was shocked by what he saw. With a smug look, Zerha was sitting on top of the students that she had beaten up.

“M-monster,” the leader muttered in fear. However, it was loud enough for Zerha to hear, so she approached the leader and struck his neck, rendering him unconscious.

Zerha yawned. “Gotta get home or Brother will scold me again.” She sighed after saying this.

As Zerha walked down the street, she spotted an old woman holding many things. She
approached the old woman and assisted her in carrying the plastic bags.

“Zerha, it's you. Thank you. You always help me carry my things every time you see me.” The old woman said gratefully.

“Because you are already weak and old! Tsk.”

“And look at yourself. You're so skinny and yet you easily defeated those boys. I saw you.”

Zerha shot her a look but did not say anything.

“You are really kind and helpful. I hope you will not change whatever your form is, or even the human race will turn against you.” The old woman continued.

Eh? What is this granny talking about? Man, old people always say the weirdest of things.

“Thank you for helping me again today, Zerha,” the old woman said with a megawatt smile.

“Don’t go around carrying heavy things again, Granny!”

“Don’t worry, I’m still strong! Hahaha!”

“S-strong? Look at your body, Granny!” She sighed. “I gotta go now!”

“Be careful on your way home!” The old woman waved at Zerha, who resumed walking.

On her way home, she saw a little boy playing ball in the street.

“Where are his parents? Don’t they know that it’s dangerous for kids to be playing in the
streets?” She mumbled.

As the kid was playing, the ball rolled onto the road where vehicles were zooming by. The kid
followed the ball, oblivious to the oncoming bus. Zerha saw it coming and shouted at the kid,
though he didn’t hear her. Zerha looked around, and everyone she saw was either on their phones or engaged in conversation.