52| THE GRAND LIE

"Oh, shit, they found the truck

"Oh, shit, they found the truck." Kie panicked as the six drove back the way they came. After heading to the church, they found the cross gone with two people in mind of who had it.

"Just relax. Relax." John B spoke quickly back at her.

"Well, lookee here." Shoupe spoke as he walked over. Lila sighed from where she was in the front, watching as he came to the side door.

"Good evening officer." John B commented.

"Sheriff." Shoupe corrected.

"Sheriff. That's right." John B nodded.

"Lila, you look bend outta shape." Shoupe spoke as he shined his light over toward the girl in the front seat.

Lila stared over at him, "Thank you."

"I pulled the tags and I know who's truck that is." Shoupe said sternly as he looked around the van, shining his light in the back to find Kie on the floor board, "Hey! Kie, you drop your weed pen back there?"

"Found it." Kie nodded as she got up.

"Sheriff, I just wanted to say that this is all my fault." Pope spoke up, trying to take the blame, "She had nothing to do with this. I take 100% responsibility."

"Nothing to do with it?" Shoupe questioning in a tone of disbelief, "You wanna try that again? Your parents reported the truck missing four hours ago, and the keys were missing from the house. I'm taking you home."

He looked at Lila, "Both of you."

"I didn't even do anything." Lila said quickly, "Neither did Kie. Maybe her parents left the house unlocked."

"Lila, it's all right." Kie said with a sigh, opening the van.

"Cmon, now. Your moms are worried, lied to their face and said I knew where you were." Shoupe said as he nodded toward Lila, "Now, unless you want all of us in trouble, I suggested you come with."

"Yo, Lila." JJ said with the back, grabbing her attention, "You gonna be all right?"

"Yeah, I have a few words I wanna say anyways." Lila said, blowing each of them a kiss as she got out of the van, taking Kies hand as they headed toward the cop car.