1

August, 2020 | Baton Rouge, LA 📍

"Kentrell get your ass out of hea' boy!" Darrius, Kentrell's father yelled at him.

"Get off of my mama." A young Kentrell tried helping his mom.

"You think you doing somethin' lil nigga?" Darrius maniacally laughed.

He cocked his fist back, hitting Sherhonda over and over in her face.

"No, please get off of her." Kentrell cried, pulling on his dad's pants. Darrius roughly pulled Sherhonda to her feet, and she lazily smiled, most likely high.

"Kentrell go to your damn room." Sherhonda groaned, rubbing her bloody nose.

"Come with me please." Kentrell mumbled, wiping his face.

"I got something for yo ass." Darrius grabbed Kentrell my his wrist, dragging him to the hall closet.

"No! I don't wanna go back in there, please." Kentrell cried, and Darrius laughed.

Darrius grabbed Kentrell by the back of his neck, smashing his face into the wall.

Kentrell popped up, his body soaking wet from sweating so hard after another bad dream.

Kentrell wiped his face, getting out his bed. He pulled his clothes off, putting them under his sink.

He opened his medicine cabinet, grabbing his pill box. He took the pills labeled "Thursday", swallowing them dry.

He looked in the mirror, bags under his eyes.

Kentrell started some shower water, getting in.

He let the water run through his happy hair, playing with it.

He let his thoughts consume him as he bathed, then stepped out.

He wrapped a towel around his waist, going to grab his ringing phone off of the charger, answering the call.

"YB where you at nigga?" His friend, Ben spoke in the phone.

"I'll be there soon." Kentrell mumbled, then hung up the phone.

He didn't understand why school would come back from Summer on a Thursday, it literally made no sense.

He pulled on some underwear, then some gray sweats with a fitted white tee shirt.

He put on some white socks, with his Air Force Ones. This was his favorite outfit to wear. He'd wear the same outfit everyday if he could.

He sprayed some cologne after rubbing lotion in on his arms.

He grabbed his backpack, then his AirPods, and walked out the house.

Kentrell got in his car, opening his middle console and lighting his blunt.

He had to get high before school, it was the only thing to calm his nerves.

He drove for about 10 minutes, before pulling up to his local high school.

He hated his high school. It was full of wanna be gang banging ass niggas, and hoes who didn't want nothing but a piece of dick.

Kentrell had thought about dropping out, but he owed it to his Grandma to graduate. It was the least he could do.

She had raised him since he was thirteen, and she died 3 years ago. Now it was just him, he was all he had.

He got out his car, walking inside the building.

"Lil top!" Joe ran up to him, and Kentrell dapped him up.

"You look so damn evil nigga smile." KD stood in front of Kentrell's face, and Kentrell scrunched his face up.