one | body count

⚠️slight attempt to child harassment towards the end. There are no details. However, if you feel uncomfortable reading it, skip the part after it says -Eleven years ago - until the 𖤓

𝑺𝒐𝒏𝒈: 𝑫𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 - 𝑫𝒂𝒗𝒊𝒅 𝑲𝒖𝒔𝒉𝒏𝒆𝒓

When I was a little girl, I asked my mother if I could fly. I wasn't sure how the idea got caught in my head; probably from something I watched on TV. I wished I could spread my arms wide and fly. Into the endless blue sky like a bird. If only I could grow wings on my back...

The mere thought of that gave me a feeling of freedom. A feeling of being unbound. Unshackled. Seeing all those little feathery forms up in the sky from my little porch made me want to be that free. To feel that kind of freedom. Not bothering with anything or anyone. I just wanted to be... me.

My mother thought I was joking, of course, and laughed and started tickling me and waving my little body in the air; airplanes, that's what we called this little game of ours.

However, my wings were clipped and ripped from my back when I understood that it was all a dream. A parallel reality of some sort where I lived with a lovely and kind family. Where my mother would tickle and play with me. Or where my father would kiss my forehead and be my strong protector, my hero.

What mother and what father?
Even in my dreams, they didn't have forms. They didn't have faces. Features. Eyes, mouths, noses. They were just shadows in the form of human beings.

It was pathetic, really. What I lacked in real life, my mind tried to contort in my dreams.

Gosh, I hated the orphanage.
I loathed it with every fiber of my being. My every cell hated it, but being a minor - well, it was the law to stay here, and I quote Mrs. Dickton, once you reach the lovely age of adulthood, you can spread your wings to the outside world.

If only I could clip her wings, and she would accidentally -of course- fall to her dimise.

I loathed that woman even more. I hated her with passion.

The belief that in only one day from seventeen to eighteen, the world would be a better place out there is just outragingly stupid. I was laughing, even thinking about it.

You just completed another rotation around the sun. Add it to the collection.
No biggie.

"Come on, Lia, wake up!" Rose shook my shoulder.