forty-nine | fire alarm

trigger warnings: violence

𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠: 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐚 𝐃𝐞𝐥 𝐑𝐞𝐲 - 𝐒𝐚𝐲 𝐘𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧

I should have gotten used to waking up with fur babies by now. Emerald was laying next to my head and I was scratching under her neck as she purred. I was half asleep and hadn't opened my eyes, nor had I realized Atticus wasn't next to me.

A blaring sound snapped my eyes open. My first instinct was to grab my gun but fuck I didn't have it near me. I grabbed the next best thing. Emerald would do.

I yanked the sheets covering my body and snatched the cat under my arm.

The smoke alarms were blaring nonstop while I made my way around the apartment looking for my boyfriend.

That needed some getting used to.

As I went down the stairs I stopped mid-way and almost burst out laughing. Crunching down I observed as the male specimen was in a foreign territory among pots and pans.

I placed Emerald on my knees and we both watched as Atticus frantically waved a dish towel in the air, trying to redirect the smoke coming from one of the pans on the stove, from what used to be pancakes. Now charcoal pancakes.

"Shit shit shit" he coursed. When the second pan started smoking was my cue to enter.

"is something burning?"

Startled by my voice he threw the towel on the floor and leaned seductively against the counter facing me and hiding the stove behind him. "Only my desire for you firecracker"

I matched his smile and looked behind him. "Atticus, baby"

His eyes lit up with the pet name.

"the pan is on fire" I watched the small flames dancing behind him.

His eyes widened and all previous emotions of fondness were completely gone. His nervousness spiked, "fuck" he said and looked everywhere to put out the fire.

Between the fire alarm, Emerald's meowing, and Atticus' pacing I considered hiring a film crew. Maybe I could make some money from the reality show.

When Atticus was about to throw a cup of water into a hot oil pan on fire I stepped in. Grabbed the lid and covered the pan. Turned off the stove and turned the kitchen range hood on. "Maybe you should stick to coffee?" I said covering the second pan as well. Whatever that was in there it didn't look edible anymore.

"it was supposed to be breakfast in bed" he scratched the back of his head.

"was it?" I joked. I lifted the lid from the pan that caught on fire and moved a bit to the right for Atticus to see.

"it is a tad bit burned" I observed. When I turned to look back at him, he had a playful glare on his face.

"crispy" he corrected. It wasn't crispy, it had borderline turned to ashes.