twenty-eight | sunshine

𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠: 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐚 𝐃𝐞𝐥 𝐑𝐞𝐲 - 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐂𝐨𝐨𝐥

"Mafia?" Rosalyn asked. Her voice was shaking with fear.

I saw it in her green eyes. The flight mode.

"Rosalyn no!" I said but it was too late.

She ran.

"Rose!" I called her name again.

I quickly got up and started running after her. For someone without an athletic bone in her body, she was fucking fast.

"Rose let me explain!"I tried again. I didn't know if Roman was behind me. I was also fairly certain that I woke up the whole house as well.

"What is going on" asked Asa when he appeared from Seraphina's room.

I didn't waste any time. "She knows!" I said when I reached the top of the first set of stairs.

Rose was already at the bottom. I grabbed the metal railing and hoisted myself up. Sliding down the railing was a lot faster than taking the stairs.

I knew this would happen. I knew it and I never wanted it to happen. I wanted to delay the inevitable. She wasn't a fighter. Just a lover with a bottomless heart filled with kindness, care, and love.

Mafia would crush love.

I kept calling her but she never looked back. More doors started opening and figuring by the loud enough commotion Roman explained the situation to them because the next thing I knew my footsteps weren't the only ones coming down the stairs.

When Rosalyn reached the pebbled ground down the last set of stairs outside the entrance she finally stopped and I stayed a few steps back not wanting to overwhelm her.

"Stay back!" She said panting.

"Please let me explain!" I asked again. "Please,"

"What do you want to explain? Huh?" She asked as tears ran down her cheeks. She raised her face and looked behind me at the top of the steps. The commotion had arrived and she started shaking with fear. "That you are in a mafia?" gasps were heard behind by my focus was solemnly on Rose.

"They know?"

"You told them?"

"I didn't tell them anything!"

"mio dio!"

Shocked were everyone.

"Rosalyn come back inside." Roman came forward. Rosalyn's eyes widened and she shook her head.

"Rose look at me," I said, and she turned her gaze to me. She looked defeated. As if she knew she had no chance of escaping.

Her eyes pleaded with me. Unspoken words.