fifteen | rise up

Trigger warning: Violence and child abuse

𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠: 𝐈𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐬 - 𝐁𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫

(a/n this is my favorite song)

Two and a half years ago was the last time Dickton swung her cane at my back

I didn't even have time to react when the action was repeated over and over again. The metal embellishments which were delicately wrapped around it dug deeper into my skin. So deep I had to bite my inner cheek and tongue to muffle my scream.

The burning sensation all over my back turned to numbness which stayed with me till this day.

There were certain areas where I felt a tingling sensation when someone touched my back, areas I felt even less, and scars that even with the most feather-light touch sent jolts of electric pain down my spine.

That day though I had enough.

I had finally snapped.

We had a deal for her to never touch another soul that walked the orphanage. And I would let her do as she pleased.

I could take it. A five-year-old soul couldn't. A three-year-old couldn't.

But I could. I endured it until I returned that day after practice and found most of the girls -the children- had already retrieved their punishments.

And my sunshine was crying curled in a ball on her bed hugging her legs for comfort as Stella was applying antiseptic cream on her upper back.

We were children. Children taking care of children.

Why?

Because Dickton found our hidden candy stash.

And went ballistic.

That day I was hit three times. When the fourth came I caught the fucking cane and looked at the heartless monster in front of me as I snapped her favorite cane with my knee and threw the pieces in the lit fireplace. The flames danced so beautifully around the broken pieces that I felt my skin burn with .

I snapped her wrist and had a long talk with her until the only matter left in the fireplace were the metal embellishments and ashes.

I was fourteen and it was about damn time I rose against her.

And now almost three years later she was gone.

But my only problem was that she didn't perish by my own two hands.

I was content when I woke up after my night nap.

I had to find a way to get sleeping pills. I looked in the bathroom mirror and a zombie looked back.

It was the end of the week. Sunday. And I was in the mood to go for a run. The sun was just beginning to rise, and it was the perfect temperature out. Not overly hot but not too cold either. I wore my workout clothes and running shoes and finally made my way to the dog room.