One Last Time

"You're not leaving me are you?"

Hearing those words broke his heart.

He didn't ever want to leave you, but he knew he wasn't good for you.

You would move on and find better. You had to.

But leaving you made him break his one promise to you. He would never hurt you.

He couldn't drag you into the messy world he lived in.

You deserved to live a happy life, away from the rotting streets of Ketterdam.

You deserved to have a special person who wouldn't drag you into harm's way.

The moment he told you he couldn't be with you anymore he heard his heart crack.

Tears streamed down your cheeks as you begged him not to leave you.

"Kaz," You sniffled and rubbed your nose with the sleeve of your sweater, "Please... Don't leave me. I promise, I'll do whatever you want. I won't go to the Crow Club or the Slat. I'll stay here, I'll be careful. I'll do anything. Just-" A hiccup escaped your mouth, "Just please don't leave me..." Kaz didn't look at you. He couldn't. "This isn't up for discussion." He limped toward the door before he turned around and looked at you one last time. "I'm- I'm sorry. But I can't risk your safety. If- if anything happened to you..." He looked into your eyes, red and heartbroken eyes, "I can't... I'm sorry, Y/N." He turned back to the door and walked out of your apartment. You watched as he closed the door behind him and fell onto the couch. Heartache like never before exploded in your chest. Grabbing a pillow and holding it close to your chest, you sobbed. Not caring about how puffy or red your eyes will be tomorrow morning, you cried as Kaz Brekker carried your heart away as he left you in your living room.

That was years ago.

He couldn't believe his eyes when he saw you walking down the streets of Ketterdam carrying a small boy in your arms as another man walking next to you holding your free hand.

He watched as you pointed out different places as you walked.

He couldn't help the pang in his chest seeing you again.

Happy.

You looked so happy and content.

He couldn't help feeling jealous, 'That should be me'.

But he also couldn't ignore the little voice in the back of his head, 'You are the reason she moved on. You didn't give her a choice'.

Kaz watched as the little boy tapped on your shoulder and pointed at him while saying something he couldn't hear.

You turned your head, your eyes falling upon him.

Bright y/e/c eyes looking into his eyes instead of the bloodshot tearful ones he saw last.

You gave him a small nod and smile before you kept walking down the street giving your small family a tour of where you spent your teen years.

And as you walked away it hit him.

You weren't his anymore and he lost his chance.

If only he was able to say goodbye one last time.

3