The Phoenix and the Crow

part ten

"Here she is! Sweetheart, we have visitors." Kaz wheeled out an old man while Y/N trailed behind them. "Art collectors from Kerch."

When Ohval had come to see the bodies of the uninvited guests Inej had attempted to attack from behind but failed. The older woman was much faster and seemed to sense her presence. Jesper and Toyla had rushed to help Inej in fighting the powerful durast while Kaz and Y/N snuck off to find the faint heartbeat in the back of the house. They eventually found an old man who was sitting in the back garden on a rocking chair. The grisha and thief introduced themselves as visiting art collectors which the old man believed and started talking to them about old, treasured art pieces. The pair helped him into his wheelchair and promised to bring him to his wife. Which is where they now stood on the steps behind the druast.

Ohval turned around and gave the man in the wheelchair a small smile, "I know, dear. I was just about to offer them tea."

Y/N saw everyone stagger to their feet, faces red and choked. She made eye contact with Zoya and Nina, silently asking if they were alright to which they both nodded. She scanned over the other four mentally examining for any serious injuries, from her view she couldn't see any.

Ohval turned to Toyla and spoke in Shu, "He's not part of this."

"There are the collectors I was telling you about." Kaz's voice was quiet and almost soft as he spoke. "They'll be pleasantly surprised to meet you, the great thief of the art world." He turned to the Shu woman and smirked, "The Disciple."

Jesper frowned, "This is The Disciple?"

"Have we met before?" The old man asked, turning to Kaz and Y/N. She smiled and nodded, "Yes, in your room just now." She placed a kind hand on his shoulder.

"And I met your wife," Kaz said. "In Bhez Ju. We had tea there."

"Bhez Ju Museum." The gray-haired man smiled, "The support beams are under every second section of the floor. The others creak. Important to know the secrets of a place."

Kaz smiled, "Truly."

Ohval spoke in her native tongue, "If anything happens to him, I will kill you all."

Y/N shook her head and replied in the same language, "All we want is the Neshyenyer."

"The Neshyenyer?" The Disciple questioned. "I stole it for her." His wife tried to silence him kindly but he ignored her. "It was the last piece I stole before we decided I should retire." This caught everyone's attention. "Anyway, you couldn't really call it stealing. It was hers, to begin with. She made it."

"I'm sorry. Did you say she made it?" Jesper's voice sounded.

The old man hummed and rose from his wheelchair, walking the best he could over to his wife. "Hours of work. Prayers. And tears." He brought his hand up to hold her face in fondness. "To fight the unkillable army created by the clock worker Kho."

Toyla chuckled breathlessly, "Three days and night she fought the unstoppable soldiers. And when the last soldier fell, she laid the weapon. And it was named Neshyenyer. Relentless." He slowly fell to one knee in a respectful bow. "We are honored to be in your presence, Sankta Neyar."

The rest of the Crows along with Zoya fell to one knee, bowing their heads in respect. The only one still standing was Kaz still waiting by the wheelchair.

Ohval turned back to her husband, "Come, my love. Let's get you to bed." She helped him back to his chair and turned to Kaz and Y/N. "This is our sanctuary. Where we can sleep peacefully. Not have to worry about thieves and bandits like you."