The Phoenix and the Crow

part eight

A knocking on the thick wooden door of her room startled Y/N as she was splashing her face with water from the wash basin. "Yes?"

"Downstairs now. Your country needs saving." Kaz's voice was muffled through the door. Y/N's eyebrows furrowed in curiosity, "I'll be down shortly." She finished getting ready and tied her hair up before leaving her room and walking downstairs. The moment she spotted Kaz and Nina sitting at a table with two others whose back was facing her, she froze. She'd recognize the back of that head anywhere.

"Zoya Nazalensky. Well, I'll be damned." The inferni could feel the dramatic eye roll she received in return as she walked to the table. "Old friend, how are you?"

"Y/N L/N. Thought you'd be six feet under by now." Her tone held a biting sting to it, but the inferni knew her too well to take it seriously.

"Always a pleasure, Nazalensky." She pursed her lips in faux disdain before breaking into a smile.

Nina looked between the two etherealki with a wide smile, "Oh it's like we're in the Little Palace all over again. Isn't this nice?"

Kaz's glare didn't lighten up as he glanced at all three grisha women with the sharpest side eye Y/N had ever seen. She moved to stand behind the Heartrender and placed her hands on her shoulders. "So what's this I hear about my country needing saving?" She shot a quick teasing glance to Kaz before directing her attention back to the topics at hand.

Zoya cleared her throat, "We need you lot to get us the Neshyenyer."

Nina scoffed, "The Neshyenyer? Sankta Neyar's blade?"

"So, you haven't completely forgotten what you were taught at the Little Palace." The Squaler leaned back in her chair with her arms folded in front of her. "Just your loyalty to Ravka."

"Ravka? Or Kirigan?" Both older grisha stiffened at the name. "It didn't take him destroying a city for me to question my loyalty."

Y/N pulled back at the sharp words that fell from Nina's lips. She knew she should've run far before Alina came to the Little Palace, and she was ashamed to say how long it took for her to finally think over her loyalties.

Jesper cleared his throat, "So, now that we all know that you two have history, what's the payment for this job?"

The Shu man finally spoke, "Name your price. It matters that much."

"Who are you?" The inferni questioned.

"Toyla Yul-Bataar. Member of Prince Nikolai's personal guard."

Nina opened the letter handwritten by the prince of Ravka himself. Everyone looked over her shoulder to read it.

"Is that the Lantsov family crest?" Wylan asked.

"You know it is because it's hideous."

Y/N snorted but collected herself quickly.

"Prince Nikolai requests your services to retrieve and deliver the Neshyener to Alina Starkov in East Ravka." Toyla said.

Nina looked up, "She's returned?"

"As has the Darkling. With an indestructible army of shadow monsters." Zoya stared directly at Y/N as she spoke.

"I don't like the sound of that." Jesper took another sip of his drink.

Y/N shook her head in denial, "That can't be. We saw him in the Fold. Zoya you were there, he-"

"We didn't see his body. He's back, Y/N and he's stronger now. Or so he seems to be with these new puppets of his. That's why Alina needs the blade to kill them. It's the only thing that might work."