Back to December

The sound of rain echoed off the thin windows of the Slat while Kaz sat at his makeshift desk sorting through different papers and letters. The only light in the room was emitted from two small candle sticks on his desk, casting the rest of his room in darkness. The warm familiar scent of sugar cookies wafted up the stairs from the kitchen much to Kaz's enmity. December had to be his least favorite month of the year, and he knew the crows couldn't help themselves when they got into the holiday spirit. It wasn't their fault she left.

The feeling of another's presence in the room suddenly weighed on his shoulders. "Inej."

The suli girl slipped around the corner and ducked her head. "A letter."

Black coffee-brown eyes watched her carefully as she avoided eye contact at all costs. He reached out to get the letter and froze when he saw the return address under the flickering light of his candle.

Inej's shoulder sank as she muttered her departure quickly, not wanting to see the effect of the letter on him.

Kaz heard the heavy door shut and released the breath that was stuck in his throat. He pulled his letter opener out of his desk drawer and pulled the letter out of the envelope. The glimpse of her messy handwriting brought a shameful sense of warmth to his chest. He had no right to feel comforted at the mere sight of her penmanship.

His eyes scanned over her words on parchment, he could almost hear her voice asking him questions about the other crows and his well-being. How's life? Tell me how's the crows? I haven't seen them in a while... He could hear her trailing off in thought. He nearly laughed at her trying to keep small talk even in a letter, avoiding bringing up sensitive topics. Just her being thoughtful of him as always. Something he never learned to do with her. Well, that's all from me. I still don't know when I'll be back. 'If she'll ever be back. It's already been a year.' Write back when you can, Kaz. Please. All the best, Y/N

He should write back, he had so much to tell her. How he regretted his words and how he wished he could take them back. Give her the love and appreciation she deserves. She deserved the world but he couldn't even give her his time.

He sighed to himself and ran a hand through his hair. He picked up his pen while reaching for a clean roll of parchment. His eyes glazed over for a moment before he snapped himself out of his own thoughts. The pen's tip was dipped in ink and hovered over the parchment for a moment too long. Kaz's mind raced a hundred miles per hour while nothing stuck in his brain. Where was he to start?

Dear Y/N

~

*Summer of the previous year*

The heat of the night clung to Y/N's skin as she walked along the balconies of the large manor the Crows were robbing. Inej was spying from the roof, the others were inside attending the party, and Y/N was making her way to the right window from where they will let her in.

"Saints," she cursed as she fanned herself with her hands, the heat starting to make her dizzy and the black outfit she wore didn't help. The click of the window sounded from beside her causing her to sigh in relief, "S'bout time."

She slipped through the window and pulled her black hood down, her hair falling out and framing her face. She felt a pair of eyes burning into the side of her head, she smirked and turned towards the pair of coffee-brown eyes. "You unlocked the safe?" She tilted her head in question teasingly.

Kaz snapped out of his daze and turned back to the safe, turning the dial a few more times before it popped open. The sight of jewels and stacks of kruge brought smiles and smirks to all of their faces.