Phoenix and the Crow

part twelve

Each step was taken cautiously as the group of six walked through the Fold. Growls could be heard around them causing Y/N to check their surroundings every minute despite Alina encircling them in a shield of light.

"This is it. The heart of the Fold. Where Kirigan first damned this country into darkness." Alina spoke as she stood beside Mal, a set of stone steps behind them like ruins of an old building. "I think this is where we stand a chance of bringing it down." Mal shifted closer to her, ready to draw his knife. She placed her hands over his and refused. "No. We can do this." Alina lifted* her right hand and motioned for Mal to hold it.

Bewilderment washed over Y/N all at once when she saw the bright red light flow through the sun summoner's veins. "He's the firebird."

Flares of blue and red light seeped out of Alina in powerful waves. The red spiraled around the couple and flew all over the place encompassing them like a forest fire.

The other four women stood to the side and watched in awe. "It's beautiful." Nina's breath caught in her throat as she spoke. Zoya and Y/N reached for the heartrender's hands as Inej said her prayers of worship in silence. The inferni's amazement* was cut short when she felt another presence. She felt as if all the air had left her lungs as she turned to Zoya. "He's here."

"How touching." The Darkling strode through Alina and Mal's shield of light with his hands clasped and extended outwards before him. The black scars on his face were impossible to miss as Y/N stared him down from where she stood while holding her ground.

Alina let go of Mal, the red light instantly fading away.

"I almost feel bad for what I have to do now." Kirigan said as he walked closer. "He is family after all." He spat his words as if they were the vilest concept. The summoner threw a glance at the tracker before diverting her attention back to the Darkling.

"Get down!" Mal shouted.

Y/N's attention was pulled toward where Mal stood with his gun drawn. She ducked down just in time to dodge the bullet meant for the nichovoya.

The Darkling drew his hands together, summoning the Cut. Alina quickly copied, both summoners aiming for the other. Their slices hit one another with such force they nearly canceled out each other's power. Fortunately, Alina had used slightly more force and a piece struck Aleksander's side. He flew back and landed hard on his back with a groan. Alina grinned with pride as she watched Kirigan squirm in pain.

"I'm hit." His voice was strained while he spoke.

"Mal." The sun summoner rushed to his side and in a flurry of panic, the light shield fell leaving everyone vulnerable to the monsters that are local to the Fold. Right before the four girls could run to Alina and Mal, Nina was snatched by the nichovoya.

"Nina." Dread formed in Y/N's bones despite the roaring rage in her chest. "Nina!" Inej and Zoya turned and looked around desperately for the heartrender. The three of them moved to stand back to back, circling each other protectively.

"Stay with me." Alina's voice cried out over the rushing of blood in their ears. "Stay with me!"

With a glance thrown quickly to Zoya, Y/N ran over to where Alina was bent over Mal's body. She fell to her knees next to them as Mal drew his knife and handed it to the crying girl.

"I can't." Alina cried.

"Make them redraw all the maps."

Y/N looked away from the couple while she felt her emotions bubble over.

The Darkling was once again adding another theft to his long list of stolen lives and other cherished belongings of the innocent girls he'd tormented. Genya, Zoya, Y/N, and Alina. Just another thing he got to ruin with his blood-stained hands. Convincing each girl of his feelings and intentions while he utilizes them as if they were pawns in a chess game. Sacrificing each of them for more power.