The Phoenix and the Crow

part six

The gunshots didn't let up as grunts were barely heard from the hall. "It's over, Brekker!" Pekka shouted over the gunfire. Kaz pulled out two small bombs from his pocket and a lighter. He tried to start the lighter but no flicker of fire came from it. He cursed under his breath before Y/N scoffed, "Oh, hand it over." She pulled the bombs from his hands, snapped her fingers, and lit the fuses before throwing them over to the other side of the desk. Kaz stared at her as she brought her hands over her ears. His eyes calculating as if trying to solve the puzzle that was her. A flicker of amazement flashed through his eyes but vanished as quickly as it appeared.

Y/N quickly shoved her thoughts away, "Ears!" She shouted at him and he quickly covered his ears right before the bombs went off.

Y/N sighed out loud as she cleaned up the soiled rags and dumped the blood-infested water down the drain. "It's a miracle she's alive." She said, dragging herself out of her own thoughts of the moment just hours before.

Nina scoffed, "I'm no healer, but she would've been fine." The inferni nodded, "Probably... I just don't do blood." The heartrender rolled her eyes, "How you were a lieutenant-general of the second army, I don't know."

"Even I'd like to know how I got the position." Her eyes glazed over as a memory of the Darkling flittered through her mind, "You know, never mind. I don't want to know." The reminder of his dark eyes scanning over her made a chill run down her spine.

Nina watched her with saddened eyes, knowing vaguely about the girl's past from hushed whispers and rumors that spread like a wildfire through the little palace. It was a known fact that the General had a soft spot for the inferni since the moment he brought her in. Where she came from, no one knew. Everyone knew better than to prie into her business given her relationship with the Darkling. Were they a couple? It was never confirmed, but it was suggested strongly through actions.

Muffled voices snapped the two out of their separate trains of thought.

"We should go update them on Inej." Nina shot her a smile as she walked out of the room.

Y/N pulled herself out of her chair and followed, down a winding hall to the room where the muffled voices were heard.

"You don't take down a lion by cutting off his tail." Kaz's grave voice spoke harshly.

"I'm sorry, you've been on safari when? We're putting out lives on the line." The resentment in Jesper's tone was as clear as the night sky outside the tomb windows.

"I thought you preferred it that way."

The two grisha shared a look before making their presence known. Wylan was the first to turn toward them, "Is Inej going to be okay?"

Nina ran her hands over the waist of her dress as she spoke, "Um... I wouldn't call myself the most proficient Healer, but she'll not be a permanent resident here."

"Not yet anyway." Jesper threw a glare at Kaz.

"Technically, no one gets buried here anymore. When the firepox plague hit years ago, so many people died that the crematoriums all got backed up, so they had to float all the dead bodies in the harbor." Wylan said.

As the young chemist spoke Y/N noticed Brekker tense up at the mention of the plague. His shoulders stiffened and his hands clenched, causing the leather around his knuckled to tighten around his fists.

"That's enough!"

The four people behind him froze in mild shock and slight fear. The sound of shuffling papers was heard before he turned around, handing the papers to Jesper.