The Phoenix and the Crow

part three

"Home sweet home," Jesper spoke as he walked beside Y/N whose nose was wrinkled between her eyes as she took in the dirty streets of the Barrel. "Straight off the boat from Ravka and no one was waiting to kill us as soon as we arrived. That's a good sign. I might go off to celebrate."

"If you do, you must show me around-"

"No." Kaz's voice was stern but not loud over the voices of the people around them. "No celebrating, we have stops to make."

Inej followed him a bit more earnestly, "Where first? Tante Heleen?"

"We get the Crow Club."

Y/N furrowed her eyebrows as she tried to keep up with the conversation based on the quick rundown Inej and Jesper gave her on the boat. Crow Club. The gambling den was owned by Per Haskel but run by Kaz. Tante Heleen. The woman who owned the Menagerie and held captive girls like her new Suli friend. Just hearing the name made chills run down the inferni's spine.

Once the club came into view the trio stopped abruptly causing Y/N to run into Jesper's back, muttering apologies as she moved to stand by his side staring ahead in confusion.

"Where's our sign?"

"It's been replaced."

"The Kaelish Prince?"

"What kind of name is that?" Y/N rolled her eyes at Kaz's harsh glare, "Sorry."

"Dime Lions." Kaz's shoulders grew tenser with each passing second as the other's caught up to his realization. "Pekka Rollins owns the Crow Club?" Inej finally spoke, her eyes wide as she looked back at the club in front of them. "Where does that leave us? Are you saying we have no home?" Jesper's voice was slightly deeper than normal as Y/N assumed the shock of the situation took over his own body.

Kaz ignored Jesper's complaints about his clothing and told them to split up. Y/N stood frozen for a second before the tallest of the group grabbed her hand and pulled her after him, but they didn't make it far. Whistles were heard behind them, "Oi! You three!" Four men stood there dressed in officer uniforms, two of which held guns pointed at the other four.

"Kaz Brekker. Jesper Fahey. And Inej Ghafa."

Y/N stepped out from behind the sharpshooter causing the officer to look at her with slight confusion. "And you are?" She tilted her head slightly, "Y/N." He rolled his eyes in irritation after waiting a moment for her to continue, "Last name?"

"Sorry, it's classified."

"Are you with them?"

"Yes." "No."

Y/N shot Kaz a glare, "Yes, I'm with them."

"Is there a problem?" Kaz continued and held his tone as if he was talking business.

"For you there is. You three are wanted for murder." His eyes trained back to Y/N, "Along with you now, for the association."

Jesper sighed, "What? We just got back." As he spoke his hands lowered slightly, and the officer with a gun shoved it forward making him raise his hands up again.

"Now hand over those shooters. And you, the cane. And you spy-"

Y/N only then realized Inej had gone missing. The officers looked around franticly for the well-known Wraith, muttering their surprise and concern. Jesper just shrugged and smiled, "Yeah she does that."

"Well... Two's enough for now. Come on." He pointed at the officer behind him, "You check her for any weapons."

Y/N rolled her eyes as she was patted down briefly in search of any weapon on her. The guard called back, "No weapons, Sir." She smiled sarcastically and clenched her fist when she felt a spark escape her finger.