Welcome to Tokyo

The icy air brushed the back of my neck, making the hair there stand up. I rubbed my gloved hands over my skin in order to warm myself up. I was covered in layers of clothes that I had pulled from my suitcase after landing, but I was still freezing. Thankfully, I was on my way to a nice hotel, where I could be nice and toasty. This was the coldest winter I'd ever experienced, having grown up in California. Light snowfall covered the sidewalk and roofs of buildings, and a gray light illuminated the day. I stood there, in front of the airport, shivering violently. Seunghyun was standing beside me, occasionally checking up on me. He had been with me the entire flight, and he had been ordering all sorts of things for me. Food, blankets, you name it. It was odd how kind he was being.

"You're not used to snow, huh?" he asked me quietly.

I shook my head. "No, not really. But it's so beautiful."

"It is." He turned to look at me, his soft gaze caressing my face. I didn't really meet his eyes. Instead, I just stared off at the intriguing scenery. Even though I was completely immersed in the scene before me, I could still feel his gaze on my skin.

Meeting his eyes, I asked, "Are you nervous? About the concert, I mean."

He shrugged. "It's impossible not to be a little nervous. Of course, I'm worried I'll forget one of my rap verses, or I'll screw up one of the dances. But either way, I know I'll have a good time. It's what I live for. This is my job, and I couldn't love it more."

"That's good."

"Are you nervous?" he asked.

"A little. Like you said, it's natural, but I'm just afraid that I'll do something wrong," I explained.

"You're fine. You're an amazing dancer and choreographer," he complimented me, patting a comforting hand on my back. "I, on the other hand, am not so great at dancing."

"Maybe I could teach you," I suggested.

"Separately?"

"Why not?"

He smiled at me and bowed his head in gratitude. "Gomawo, Jae."

"I'm happy to help you. You are my client, after all," I said.

"Friend," he reminded me, nudging my shoulder playfully, "You're my friend."

"And friends help each other, right?"

"Right." Seunghyun was about to say something else, when a hand suddenly grabbed mine and pulled me backwards. I stumbled back, trying to keep my balance, only to crash into a firm body. I spun around angrily to see Jiyong. My annoyance faded away quickly, and it was replaced by relief.

"How's Tokyo, Jae?" he asked me excitedly.

Tucking a piece of hair behind my ear, I smiled and answered, "It's pretty amazing. Cold, but amazing."

"You'll love it here. I know we'll only stay here for a few days, but I promise it'll be great," he assured me.

"I trust you," I said.

"We've been here for concerts tons of times," Seunghyun chimed in. His arm bumped against Jiyong's, causing him to lose his hold on me. Although it seemed accidental, I couldn't help but think that it wasn't.

"Yeah," Jiyong replied, directing his gaze at Seunghyun. The two seemed to be in a mental battle against one another. They stood unmoving, staring at each other with odd expressions of menace before I had to cut in.

"Hey, boys. I hate to ruin your fun, but the vans are here," I told them, breaking them apart. Jiyong nodded to me and Seunghyun, his stone cold face morphing into a grin. With a small bow, he took my hand and dragged me toward the nearest vehicle. I barely had a chance to look at Seunghyun's distant stare one last time before being pulled into a sea of people all loading their belongings onto the parade of vans. And just as I was swallowed by mass of bodies, I could've sworn that Seunghyun's hand had been slightly extended towards me.