Trapped

I had just set down my bag back at my apartment when I decided to turn my phone on. I had shut it off completely and hadn't used it all day, and I didn't really feel like coordinating the dances for BigBang's upcoming tour. So, I might as well use it. All I wanted to do was have some time to relax.

The moment my phone lit up, my phone started ringing. I jumped in surprise, almost dropping my phone in the process. My phone lost contact with the palm of my hand for a split second, before I quickly caught it and pulled it to my chest. Letting out a sigh, I looked at the screen to find that my best friend, Kaori, was calling.

Kaori? I hadn't talked to her in a long time. We hadn't talked since she told me about the audition for a job at YG Entertainment. I never even told her that I got the job. Not that it mattered, since I was sure she knew now. But what could she be calling about? She never called me unless she had something she really important she wanted to talk to me about. Was it about something that she urgently needed to tell me? Or was it just to check in to see how I was doing? I guess there was only one way to know for sure.

I quickly pressed the "Accept" button before the call could automatically end. Raising my phone to the side of my head, I said, "Kaori? What're you-"

"YOO JAE HWA!!!"

I let out a yelp as I plummeted to the floor in fright. My phone slipped out of my grasp and clattered to the floor. The sound of her voice rang in my ears like an alarm. She was so loud that I could still hear her muffled voice from a couple feet away. Scrambling onto my knees, I pounced on my phone and lifted it once more to my ear.

"...been so long, but there's so much I need to ask!"

"Yeah, I've missed you too," I said weakly, still recovering from the shock she inflicted on me, "What do you need?"

The moment I heard Kaori take in one deep breath, I knew what was coming. Rubbing my temples with a slightly nervous sigh, I quickly prepared myself for her oncoming tidal wave of questions. Knowing her vast knowledge of the world of Kpop and everything else to do with Korea, she was sure to lay a heavy load of questions on me.

"Why did GD kiss you? Did you kiss him back? Are you dating now? Are you gonna get married? Are you-"

"No, no, no, and no!"

Kaori immediately stopped, and the line went silent. Her questions were starting to annoy me, and I couldn't listen to her any longer. Lowering my voice, I explained, "There is nothing going on between us. Nothing."

"But I saw the entire video," she protested, "How could that not be real?"

I froze, my mouth hanging open. What should I say? Should I tell her the truth? Kaori and I have been close friends since the beginning of elementary school, and we promised each other to never keep secrets. After all those years, neither of us broke that promise. Now, here I was, about to break that promise. Was it worth it? I could possibly lose my best friend over this. But if I lied, I would keep Jiyong safe from more hate. Kaori was definitely not someone who was good at hiding things. Sooner or later, someone would get the answers out of her, and the world would know the truth.

"Kaori," I stated sternly, "I think I should know whether Jiyong kissed me or not, and he didn't."

I did it. I lied to my best friend. No matter how much I felt relieved that I had managed to go through with the task, I couldn't help but think that it would come back to hurt me later down the road.

"Are you sure?"

"Kaori!"

"Fine," she exclaimed, a laugh bubbling up out of her.